Are there different applications for 510 pyro and hypercat?

kurt_magnuson

I have been using 510 pyro for developing Efke 25 and PanF+ and I love it. I wet print and it seems so

far to work better for me than other developers I have tried.

My curiosity leads me to hypercat. What are the different characteristics or working properties that

would recommend one developer over the other?

Kurt

Hi Kurt.

I'm happy to know 510-Pyro is working for you, it's my favorite developer. Hypercat has a troubled history, and is really two different developers. The original Hypercat was very much like a catechol version of 510-Pyro, but 510-Pyro is so much better that I went back to the drawing board with Hypercat and came up with a completely different type of developer. I'm still testing the new version, which will probably get a new name (is Mos Def taken?), and it's not quite refined to the point that I can recommend it for general use, but I can give you some insight into its formulation and my design goals for it.

The new Hypercat(NH), is fundamentally different from the original version in both formulation, and in use. NH is a single-agent developer, containing only catechol, and enough ascorbic acid to preserve the working solution and prevent streaking and uneven development, but not enough to have a reducing effect. Unlike 510-Pyro and other superadditive staining developers, Hypercat is a true high-definition/acutance developer, producing maximum tanning, staining, adjacency and compensation effects, which makes it very sensitive to agitation, prone to streaking and uneven development, and incompatible with rotary processing (except under special circumstances). In short, a very different animal than 510-Pyro. The advantages presented by Hypercat are so intriguing, that I can't abandon it despite its finicky nature. The tanning action is proportional to the exposure, and as the highlight regions harden, acess to them by fresh developer is restricted, and compensation results in well defined highlights, and an increase in film speed. The tanning action also reduces the migration of eveloper within the emulsion between regions of high and low density, creating adjacency effects that increase apparent sharpness, and since development is almost entirely on the surface, iradiation/halation and grain are reduced, and sharpness further enhanced. The stain works in the same way it does with other staining developers, to create grainless printing density. This type of developer is ideally suited to slow, contrasty, thin emulsion films, processed with intermittent agitation in small tanks, but it can be used in trays as well. Agitation is the critical parameter; too much and the effects are diminished, too little and streaking can occur. I'm currently fine tuning the ascorbic acid content to find the best possible balance. Negatives developed successfully in Hypercat (no streaking) are amazing. There is no grain to focus on, but the edges are so sharp focussing isn't a problem. Gradation is very fine, highlights are well controlled, and shadows are rich with texture.

I'm in the middle of an investigation into the effects of stained negs on VC papers, but I hope to have the bugs worked out of the new Hypercat formula very soon, and when I do, I'll post a full description with instructions for use and development times for some of the most suitable films, here. Thank you for your interest in my little passions.

Jay

Jay

Thank you Jay.

This question I raised is two fold. One is to see if the formula is something I could use, I

develop in tanks by hand, and also to let you know how much I enjoy 510 pyro and all the

work you do and share.

I will be very excited to make and use your next formula. In the meantime I think I will try

some of the original hypercat since it does sound like it has some interesting properties to

its credit. Do you have any recomendations to its use or a place for me to begin

experimentation?

Thanks once again for everything.

Kurt

I find that both versions of hypercat work especially well for Delta 100. Have yet too see streaking either with 35mm or 120. And hard to find grain. Makes a 35mm negative as close as one get to an otherwise developed 120. I haven't tried 510 and would like to know how grain, tonality, accutace compares with Hypercat. Very curious about your endeavor to reformulate Hypercat.

Jay,

How is your home page going? I think you (we too) need a place to share the time/dilution/temperature and result. Not only for 510-pyro but generally staining technique. I think there will be staining developer for paper coming out soon.(well, excuse me if I made you LOL). Or maybe a forum can be created? here or APUG or somewhere else.

From what I saw that the "death of film" made the price of equipment diving hard, photo labs less and less, more and more people start to "get your hand dirty and do it yourself" and more people like me taking the advantage of the affordable equipment joining in. So dark room thing is gaining it's popularity.

Hello.

Michael, I'm glad Hypercat is working for you, and I know exactly what you mean when you say that your 35mm Delta 100 negs make prints that resemble prints made from MF negs. You must have your agitation technique well established, and compatible with Hypercat. I still get occasional streaking with some films, formats, and agitation patterns, but I'm working hard to eliminate or control that problem without sacrificing the qualities that make Hypercat what it is.

Wang,

I am working on a website, but I rely on others for help, and don't have time or expertise to take that project on solo. I hope that I can get the website up before the new year.

Thank you all for your interest and support.

Jay