Street Photograpy in Paris

jeremy_center

I'm not French, I'm German. A friend of mine is a 50+ year old American. Whenever he behaves odd and mentiones people staring at him, like while he is walking over red traffic lights, he says "I'm a American" in not accent free German. - This shocks people enough to let him pass and stop wondering or argueing.

What or who are you? - Could you pass as French if you were a secret agent? - No? - so why don't you play the tourist's role? Babbling something "Marvelous, wonderful, oh so very French..." while you are snapping away excitedly? - Americans aren't known for superior skills to blend in but radiate a over-(European)average friendlyness. This should be enough to keep you out of deep trouble. - My 2c. I'm more reluctant to shoot street at home than abroad as a obvious tourist.

Good point. I'm more likely to shoot here in Spain where I live now than I was in Chicago. Here people just accept that I'm another tourist taking in the sights (even though I really live here) and don't think twice. I've even had people here in Madrid ASK me to take their photo (seeing pro equipment, they think I'll make them famous or something...not really sure) instead of turning the other way. Really, you should try not to be too intrusive, and if you find yourself in a sticky situation, acting the tourist part is good advise.

Push you comfortability limits and you'll get better results. I found that here I've had to deal more with my own self more than the other people, and I'm fairly outgoing. Getting comfortable and actually interacting with the subject matter is more difficult when you don't know what to expect, even if you speak the language.

Good luck, Paris is beautiful.

Take a few cues from that famous French photographer, Carier-Bresson and seize the "decisive moment." Cartier-Bresson took photos of people all over Paris and in many instances, they did not know they were being photographed. His book, The Mind's Eye, is a great read.

I often take pictures of the Paris streets when I visit. I never had a problem. Just use your judgment. Nobody likes being a specimen so be unobtrusive, or if you cannot, use non-threatening signals such as a motion to your camera with an expression that says, "is it all right if I take a picture?" I also agree with the prior response and suggest you look like a tourist or at least a photographer-a real one. Wear a photo vest or other identifying gear-not just a camera. People tend to tolerate it better when they think you're just trying to make a living.

Read the book! It's short and sweet and a really good read.

Dennis

Jeremy, the first time I was in Paris was right after Princess Diana was killed in the auto accident. They passed a law in the City of Paris, banning photos of people on the street, without their permission. I am pretty sure that since this is not enforceable, that its ignored most of the time. I do remember, how upset at the law, most photographers were at the time. I have taken street photos in every city and village I have traveled in around the world without ever having a incident because I took a photo. I will be taking photos when I there this New Years,for me not to take photos, would me harder. Maybe one of our members who lives in Paris can help you and I better, as to what the law now is.

Never ever shoot homeless people.

This law about photographing people forbids you to show publicly a photo of someone if this person disagrees.

Like anywhere else, some people might get very upset if you shoot them (I mean with a camera...).Go to Centre Georges Pompidou from time to time, you never know what may happen here.

Thanks for all the tips. It's my first trip to Paris. I'll be there from Christmas through New Year's Eve. I had read something about the law regarding taking people's photos without their permission, and wanted more information. I primarily shoot street here in Seattle, where I am currently living, so I'm no stranger to the genre. I carry my gear in a Timbuk2 bag so as to not be so noticeable. I plan to do something similar while in Paris.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

I think you're right and that there is a law in France that restricts your ability to take people's photographs unless they agree. I don't have a lot of detail and it would be helpful if any French photographers would comment. I think the law is rooted in a desire to preserve privacy, and whilst it does give someone who actively objects to being photographed ther right to insist you stop, that it is not otherwise strictly policed. As I say, I hope someone with a more complete understanding comes along.

Click on my name and see (at bottom of page) three "tourist" shots in Rome with a Spotmatic and 135mm lens. Look like a tourist and be nice.

I carried a camera around my neck in the Paris Metro a couple of years ago, was spotted as a tourist (as if the gang of "children" needed the camera to spot me and my friends as tourists) and lost some cash out of my trousers pocket. Keep your passport, wallet, and cash in separate pockets.

I had a problem in Grenoble a couple of years ago when a busybody without a life tried to stop me taking pictures of students celebrating in the town fountain. he went so far as to claim to be a policeman but then would/could not show ID - so I went on shooting despite his attempts to baulk the lens. The irony being that Cartier Bresson, Doisneau, Brassai and a host of French Foto icons could not have operated with the law as it now stands. A law that was introduced to protect the well-to-do from intrusion (and exposure) cripples an art form the French would happily call their own. I would love to have the means to challenge in the European Court of Human Rights because photographers are human too right?

We never had any problem shooting ordinary people on the streets or in the parks of Paris. My wife tried once to shoot some CRS (The riot police) on the Champs Elysees, with a big, long Nikon telephoto. She got the nastiest look in return, made her think twice about doing that again.