Proof of Ownership Documentation

jeremy_center

I have never been asked for it, but I have an itemized list with a notary stamp on it. But like I said, I don't know if it's good enough, because I've never been asked. I travel to Mexico quite often, and they say two cameras max. I take 2 bodies and several lenses plus accessories. Flying or driving, never even looked at.

I got crosswise with customs once (long story involving me shooting my young stupid mouth off) and they demanded proof of ownership before they would release my gear. What got my gear 'loose' was my itemized insurance declaration (which I happened to be carrying a copy of in the bottom of my bag for some reason).

I got one of those lists stamped by Customs about ten years ago. Never asked for it, lost it after a couple trips. Been through airports in Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America and never once been asked at any airport, domestic or international. It's a waste of time.

I have a friend who purchased equipment in Japan, brought it in still in the original boxes unopened, and never got asked about it. I don't think they care unless it looks like you are trying to import significant quantities.

What can't hurt: make a list (and date the list) of your equipment and serial numbers. Print it in 6 or 7 point type. Stick one copy in your passport holder, and one in your wallet.

If you somehow get ripped off, the local police will have a quick copy of what to look for.

Customs generally doesn't check on camera bags.

Strictly speaking, the only thing that US customs is supposed to accept is their own form 4457. Or at least, that's what the form that I got back in 1979 was called. To get the form, you have to visit a customs office in the US, fill out the form and display the stuff for inspection, and then have the customs agent sign and stamp the form.

But as a practical matter, in literally hundreds of trips, I was never challenged to produce the form. In fact, in 35+ years of international traveling, I don't believe that I ever had a customs inspector ask me anything other than where had I been (damn near everywhere), why (business), and who did I work for.

The one exception - upon re-entering the US on my very first overseas trip (back in 1971), I dutifully reported that I had purchased some film along the way, and the customs inspector wanted to asses a charge for duty. I politely produced a brochure published by US Customs that said that film purchased outside the US could be brought in without paying duty, and he backed off.

In the past, customs had two concerns. One was with expensive goods purchased outside the US and brought back without payment of various US taxes. Today, most things can be bought for less in the US than they can outside. That is especially true of photographic gear. The other concern in the past was with importation of labeled goods in situations where US companies had exclusive rights to import those brands, and there was a suggestion that individuals who were bringing those items had the intention of reselling them. That's really a archaic concept today.

Instead, I think that the main focus of customs inspectors today is various controlled substances.

I've never been asked, even though I've carried a camera bag thru US customs probably 75-100 times in the last 5 years on my way back home from business trips to various Asian and European countries. But just in case, what I've done is turn a copy of the bill of sale for each item that I own (body, lens, flash, etc) into a pdf file and store it on my laptop.

The bill of sale will have SN#, date of purchase, place of purchase, etc on it, so there's never a question of where it was purchased. I'll be SOL if the laptop ever gets stolen, but I've been lucky so far. And the only person who ever looked into the camera bag was a TSA person at the security checkpoint in Cleveland!

You will probably only have a problem if you are returning from the orient and the equipment looks brand spanking new, or it is in the original boxes, and it looks very expensive. I went through all the trouble to document my Nikon stuff some years back but no one ever asked to see it. Customs usually doesn't want to bother with what appear to be minor items. Just don't put any drugs inside the camera.

I would certainly agree that customs in most countries normally have better things to do than challenging you do demonstrate ownership of your gear. I do travel very often across the world with what clearly looks like expensive professional equipment (though I'm journalist, not a photographer) and I never PERSONALLY had any problem.

However, you should also be aware that the law in very many countries (and I assume the US as well) DO empower customs agents to give you a lot of hassle in this regard if they choose to. You may perhaps call it on yourself by what they would regard as a flippant attitude, but it may also happen that an agent just had a bad day and wants to somehow get even with the world.

Some years ago, a very close friend of mine who was coming home (Rome) after a six-month trip abroad was stopped by customs and forced to pay taxes and duties on his photographic gear (that of course he had bought in Italy through regular channels) plus an heavy fine for having tried to "smuggle in" the gear. Now my friend was coming back from Antarctica, and had demonstrably spent the past six months on a scientific station there (he's a biologist). Further, his photo equipment showed clear signs of heavy use. Customs maintained that that didn't matter - my friend could very well have bought his gear abroad on his way TO Antarctica.

Ever since hearing of this I always carry in my photo bag a photocopy of my insurance declaration. I doesn't cost me any extra money or time and doesn't weigh anything, but gives me peace of mind.

• 2 weeks later...
Most customs will accept a statement from your insurance company. As long as all items are listed, complete with description and serial number. If traveling overseas carry a photo copy of you policy with you, in case of a disagreement between you and customs.

I have never had any problems in Asia, Europe, or the Carribean. But beware in Mali and perhaps other areas in Africa. Bribery, extortion, and baksheesh are the rule of the day. Customs agents threatened to refuse to let me bring my film into or out of Mali without a payoff November '06. Have some small denominations of currency so you can try to pay as little as possible. They also stole an envelope which contained my return ticket from my camera bag. That culminated in my being stranded in Africa for two weeks past my leaving date and having to buy a new (1400.00 usd) ticket after South African Airways refused reissuing my lost ticket. Yarbles........ It was still a pretty good trip. But travelers beware. michael j.