Leica ... the gods of the digital camera world

mingus1

"If the engine controller fails on your car, do you call Bosch or Volkswagon?" - Neither, you yell at the oil change guy because its obvious that he somehow screwed up you car's computer by changing the oil. ;-)

Yes RJ is right (not about the VW). We who were enthusiastic in anticipation of the M8 would love nothing more right now if all we had to deal with was a poorer noise level at high-ISOs than the Canon 5D. I'm sure there would be many ways to spin that positively :-) Even the bashers couldn't have predicted it would come out this bad.

At a minimum the review should have mentioned existing problems and that, when contacted, Leica promised they would be addressed. Now not only Leica went ahead and shipped units they knew were prone to some defects, but they acted irresponsibly with the reviewer, who now is being criticized. If these problems had been published earlier, if all actors had been more candid, Leica would have been in a position to fix these problems before shipping the units.

I have a sneaking feeling that the real winner here are going to be Zeiss. They must be pinching themselves for their good luck at having waited and used Epson RD1 and Leica M8 as their learning platforms before producing a viable digital rangefinder version of their Ikon that can live up to the practitioners' expectations from the outset.

Fast forward to PMA 2007...

Good point, Nels. For a film camera that I plan to keep forever, I will always buy a Leica. But for a digital camera having a useful lifespan that will be, with any luck, substantially shorter than my own, something built to Ikon standards and sold at Ikon prices might be good enough.

Just a simple statement in his review that "I did find some image glitches, but am assured by Leica that these will be resolved prior to shipment of the product" would have covered his backside and hopefully kept Leica reasonably happy.

I don't recall Luminous Landscape having a very high reputation for objectivity anyway, though.