Setting ISO for Fuji 400H

I think it depends on your camera/meter. The NPH was my favorite film in my previous life and I used it at both ISO 400 and 320 on my EOS 30/Elan7e. I could never tell any difference. So try it - switch ISO mid roll and process normally then check which one you like most

NPH (aka 400H) is a beautiful film especially for portraiture. A friend of mine used it with apparently good success for outdoor night shots thanks to its fourth color layer. I have always rated it as ISO 400 and was quite pleased with the color palette. My Nikon Coolscan IV has sometimes given me cyan or magenta casts on NPH as there is no color standard for negative film and Nikon Scan does not adjust for different negative films, but nevertheless NPH generally scans well.

<p><a href="http://www.jckrause.com/">Jens</a>

Contrary to PN myth and popular belief. All color neg stocks work great at box ISO when you meter for the shadows. In fact by metering a black tux, the meter is essentially over exposing mid gray by 2 stops! So technically metering a dark object, is the same as metering a gray object at a reduced ISO.

Original NPH was a slow film. I got optimum results from it at EI 200.

New NPH, now designated 400H, seems close to box speed.

Some photographers think 400H is lower contrast than new NPH, but I

have no way to measure this, and the characteristic curves on their

respective datasheets are identical.