alternatve to 70-200 L lenses

calebcondit

I'm wanting to know if there are any Pro level, non canon solutions that are in

the same range for use on my 5d...I'm on a budget, like the f/4 version of the

canon lens but would like a 2.8 lens for less than $/E1000 and around 500 if

possible. Also, the bright white I find rather loud if you're trying to be

somewhat incognito and doing photoj or street shooting. Anyone have any experience?

I just looked throught the archives without much luck...thanks in advance for

you responses and not flaming me if I'm asking something that has been asked (if

it has please supply a link in place of rudeness please)

Under $500 the only viable solution is second-hand sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM. I used it for a while before switching to canon: it's sharp, focuses fast and I liked the "blackish" exterior. I wish canon would make their 70-200IS black... BTW, the only reason I switched to canon was "IS", since my hands are pretty shaky nowadays...

You could try the sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM Macro. It looks great, and the focusing ring feel actually better than on the Canon L lenses. The black EX finish is also great.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=102&sort=7&cat=37&page=2

I got a good copy of the lens, and am very happy with it. Some people have experienced some problems with this lens( the first I tried didn't focus well in the 70-135 range; other people have had frontfocusing problems).

This is the only alternative to canon L lenses that I know about, and It's a very good alternative

I demand quality at a low price and having used manual focus for 25 years I have opted to use Nikon glass with a cheap mechanical adapter on my Canon film and digital SLRs. I chose the Nikon 200/2 AI instead of the Canon EF 200/2.8 L, at the same price and I chose the Nikon 400/2.8 AIS instead of the Canon EF 400/5.6 L, also at the same price. I don't mind working a little harder for my shots when they are the sharpest available!

You might consider the new(ish) Canon 70-300 IS lens. If you mostly use your camera handheld and need a smaller, less conspicuous lens then have a look at this review :

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/70-300is/review.html

It does not match the L lens for absolute image quality and the build is average but I find the IS cancels out the 'L' advantages when handheld and overall results are surprisingly good.

You may find a good used Canon 70-200 f/4L for under $500. For a 2.8 version, maybe around $800-900 if you're lucky (on Ebay or KEH). I have the f/4.0 version and take pictures on the street. People just look at me then turn to the direction where I'm shooting to see what am I taking pictures of, but that's rare and only a few people ask. Some say nice Canon "L" lens and ask 2.8 or 4?

70-200 range, pro level, on a budget, f/2.8 - Your only choice is the Sigma 70-200/2.8. Basically a very good lens but double check to see it is not a lemon.

That said, I find it hard to believe you are willing to invest in a top quality body (5D) without leaving yourself enough money to invest in a top quality lens.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

As others have pointed out, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM is the only lens that really competes

with the Canon 70-200 Ls. I've also owned the Tamron 70-210/2.8, and while it seemed to

compete on an optical basis, the AF is much slower, the lens is not as ergonomically tuned

for manual focusing, and the front element (and filters) rotate when focusing (which makes

using a circular polarizer a bit of a bummer).

I have other L lenses, but nothing above a 70mm, just moved to a new country and might be doing some photojournalism here and am asking if there are cheaper PROFESSIONAL solutions...not some crap kit lens...I'll probably seek out a used 70-200 f4...Please, don't be what's wrong with Photonet.