finding 5x7 photo paper that's decent quality

I just got a Epson R2400 printer, and was also curious about acquiring 5x7

photo paper. The place I bought the priner at (Calumet), says it's hard to

find. Yet most of my rugby player clients want 5x7 prints more than 8x10(unless

it's a group shot). I'm not hugely fond of cutting sheets.

So what's out there in the 5x7 paper arena that's good, archivally sound more

or less, and prints well? Is there only 1 finish type for this size paper - I

prefer semi-matte finish papers.

also - what's a good place (either online or retail), that sells good photo

paper for digital prints.

thanks - sheryl

For better prices than the above look at Atlantic Exchange - http://www.atlex.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?multipreadd=action&keys=5X7,GLOSS,S041464,1141195,1141227,7980A019,9981A006&template=PDGCommTemplates/Plain/MultiItem_by_size_paper.html

I've used Atlex for years for Epson inks and papers - fast reliable delivery and lowest consistent prices.

In the worth a 2nd thought category, for the slightly greater cost per sheet of 8.5x11" letter size paper over 5x7" cost, you'll cover the expense of a good paper cutter quickly, and have an unlimited choice of paper finishes.

J-F and Joe,

thanks for the quick response - I appreciate the advice.

I've ordered from B& H for other things in the past with no problems, but I will also check out Atlex as well. I've read in other sites that also said 8.5x11 is the way to go, but I guess I like having options (I guess from when I did darkroom prints I had paper in different sizes on hand - old habits die hard!)

The paper cutter I have currently is pretty cheapy, so I'm real gun-shy about using it with really good photo paper. What do you all use that you find reliable. I'd rather pay for a good quality one than one that may give "ragged" edges. I know for sure my cheapy one will do just that!

I've noticed having read the site on and off for a few years, and finally subscribing that the First-hand experience of other is VERY helpful.

sheryl

Sheryl,

I have a Carl 18" rotary disc trimmer (bought from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=860&A=details&Q=&sku=225476&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation). The cutter discs and cutting mat strip are replacable. I've never had jagged or irregular cuts with this trimmer, however the paper guides could be better. I will be looking for a new longer model soon, and B&H carries a good selection of higher quality trimmers - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=breadCrumb&A=search&Q=&ci=860 - such as Dahle, Kodak and others. I didn't want to spend too much money initially and chose the Carl. After several years with it, I can appreciate the benefits of different designs and higher quality. Try to find several of these models for a hands-on comparison test.

Joe,

since B&H are not in Chicago, I may have to check with Calumet or Helix here to see if they have any of the better ones. Having a good paper guide on there would be helpful, since I can't cut a straight line very well.

I figure if I'm going to invest in one, I better do it right the first time.

thanks for the tip!

sheryl

• 1 year later...