I think I did a boo boo. Need some advice.

elaine marie

Last night after shooting a wedding with a friend(the pro) we went back to our

room and started looking at the pictures in camera. I handed her one of my chips

to look at but when she put it in her camera it said no images. I had just

looked at these minutes before in my camera. Because mine is a 20D and her's is

a 30D..did it reformatt it? That is the only thing I can think that happened.

Also is there any way to retrieve those files? Although she will be fine with

out them they were some of my best captures of the day. Thanks for any info on

this boo boo of mine.<P>Elaine Marie

I have put cards in different cameras. When I have done it, it would not read the images from one camera on the other. The folders that the camera makes has a different name, so one camera does not know how to look in the wrong named folder. When I did this, it was different brands of cameras. Not sure about both canon, but different models. I am guessing the images are still there... you should be able to read them in your camera or with a card reader.

I had the same thing happen to me after a shoot. I had viewed the images on my camera

and everything was fine, but then I put them into my card reader on my computer and they

all disapeered. I put the card back into my camera and it said "No images." (Of course I

freaked out). Someone on PN told me to try EXIF Untrasher (www.bluem/net/downloads/

exif-untrasher.en/) It is a data recovery program and it retrieved my files - and for

free!! Usually software like this isn't expensive though - you can find lots for around $30.

I don't think it had anything to do with the fact that you guys had different cameras. I

think what might have happened is your camera was still accessing the card when you

took it out, so it corrupted a file. If one of the files is corrupt then none will show up. I

had only two corrupted (unretrieveable) files on my card, and that's why none of them had

shown up. But I got the rest back...good luck!!

Try www.cardrecovery.com

It worked for me after I accidentally erased an SD disk. There's a free trial you can use to see what is recoverable on the disk. You'll have to buy the program to actually recover the files. It's only $40 so it's not too bad.

"...I have put cards in different cameras. When I have done it, it would not read the images from one camera on the other..."

Not in my experience. I had a lexar CF being hot-swapped between my 20D and someone else's 5D - both had no issues recording and showing pics of both cameras.

Thanks to everyone<P>I used David's web site he suggested and it WORKED!. There were about 5 corrupted files that it could not retrieve but it brought back the rest. The funny thing is it retrieved files from a wedding I did several months and several weddings ago that were deleted...so I thought. Thanks again<P>Elaine Marie

zero assumption image recovery is freeware. Works almost fine with Pentax RAW files, I only have to rename the recovered images. JPGs are no problem at all. - Renaming is done in your OS, I don't know the ".*#*" -ending for your files, mine is ".PEF". The software names them image123.tif.

Make sure to switch of your camera of before you pop out the card.

Don't talk or think about reformating! As soon as you know that there are images on a card you can't read anymore, this card is on a sick leave until you downloaded these images via a recovery software and backed them up.

A image recovery software usually pulls out any trace of image ever stored and not overwritten on that card. There were some old shoes I once sold on ebay, which followed me over at least 3 Microdrive crashes...

Good luck

Zero assumption (see Jochen's comment, above) is excellent. Also, you might consider formatting the card in your camera _after_ you have copied and verified the images on your computer, which I have heard can help to avoid accumulating clutter and possible problems down the road.

FIW, "formatting" doesn't really format the card. There is an index on the card that says where picture xxx begins and ends, where picture xxy begins and ends on the card, etc. Formatting just marks these index entriess as deleted. They are not over-written, and even the file names are not really deleted.

So, what can happen is you get a hiccup that screws up that index. The recovery software just 'band-aids' the error and fixes it.

It's funny. Folks (including PPA) recommend using multiple cards. Me, I try to keep to 1 card (8Gb), and it doesn't come out of my camera until I'm home, and then the first thing is it gets copied to my computer. Nothing to lose, nothing to remove, nothing to get 'confused', no possibility me breaking the camera when I change cards (break a pin). Maybe wrong, but that's what I do...

pat