Rebel and DIGIC III

alan_markowitz1

I'm sure somebody knows, but it won't be anybody that posts here.

The G7 P&S has it, from what I've read, the effect has been to increase speed, something needed by all those type of cameras. I don't know what other benefits it might bring, but would be interested to hear more on the potential of Digic III in the Canon DSLR line from some of our more knowledgeable members. Good luck.

Digic III offers a number of advantages:

More bandwidth in the pipeline for moving data from processor to buffer to card

Better power management

New/Updated noise-reduction algorithm

Increased processing speed

AF and AE improvements

And probably a dozen other minor changes. Digic III will eventually be rolled into all the other camera products that Canon offers, just like Digic II.

I've only read the marketing BS for the point 'n shoots and the main claim of improvement

seem to be "facial recognization." That is, AF bias to face-like objects. Sounds like a

gimmick and will be utterly useless for SLRs. I can just imagine the EOS 5D MK II locking on

face-like objects in landscapes and motorcross.

DIGIC III was released in point 'n shoots at the same time the XTi came out, so it apparently

wasn't very significant for that market.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The Rebel is (by quite a substantial margin) the newest EOS body. It has a higher-resolution sensor than two of the bodies above it, including the only with which it is likely to compete to any degree. It is not going to be replaced any time soon; it makes no sense for it to be replaced until after at least one, and likely both, of the 30D and 5D are replaced.</p>

<<DIGIC III was released in point 'n shoots at the same time the XTi came out, so it apparently wasn't very significant for that market.>>

Drawing a conclusion like this based on a data set of 3 chips is very silly. But, just like in the other Digic III threads, you're more interested in bashing "face recognition" than actually discussing the facts of the chip.

I have a Canon P&S and the face recognition works well for that type of camera. With P&Ss you are often wanting to take photos of people in social situation and there is generally no scope for AF point selection, so face recongition technology works well.

It is not needed with a DSLR where you can manually select AF point easily, but if might work if combined with the idiot modes for example to choose the AF point that is closest to a face like object.

Digic III may come to the 40D when it is released in February. That will provide Canon with greater differentiation between its rebel and mid range line.