As a photo hobbyist....I am going to start taking my camera everywhere with me

and attempt Street Photography for the first time. I hope that I will someday

develop a keen eye for what is photo-worthy. I know that Street Photography is

supposed to be spontaneous, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest a list

cool ideas or subjects that I can start exploring. It's hard to just go out

there...and start shooting when you're not sure what you're looking for. For

example, I thought that maybe (on my first outing) I should photograph any two

people holding hands. I figured if I go to a pretty crowded shopping

area...such as Santa Monica Promenade, I'm bound to get some cool subjects.

Well, that's the best I could come up with right now. Any other suggestions? And

places in SoCal? thanks in advance!

The problem with going out with an agenda is that you may miss out on something else since your mind is pre-occupied. Still, it may be a good way to start out. It can be a little nerve racking at first so do what feels comfortable.

SM Promenade is fun. I did a lot of shooting there this summer mainly to escape the heat. I went today in fact but got there kind of late so I only shot two rolls. So if you see me there, say hi but don't you dare take my picture ;-)

I FINALLY got the last of the peace march rolls developed today as well. A friend is also letting me set up a darkroom in her garage so between that and the school darkroom maybe I'll actually catch up. Stranger things have happened.

I'm going to the Rose Parade this year in the early morning hours before it starts. You

can wander the parade route and photograph the participants at close proximity- at

least that's how it was last time I went, years back. Good subjects and it's also an

easy way to do sp because people just expect picture taking to happen there.

Find your subject. Why do you want to photograph the street? Waht is it that attracts you? What is it that moves you to want to take photographs? I suggest, first and foremost, that you just walk around without a camera and just sit and look until something say, 'Photograph me'. It's a bit like Method Acting.

I'm hitting up the street fair in Huntington Beach today actually. Haven't been there in a while, but the beach scene makes a great backdrop. I'll second the SM Pier, or any other pier. We have the ocean right here, might as well make use of it.

Along the same lines, do you guys find going alone or in pairs/group better? I found it a little easier to go out with a friend to have another pair of eyes. See something I may have missed.

my advice is to go out with a specific camera/lens combo at the start of each shoot and use that all day, this works really good with prime lenses. You will force yourself to be much more observant to the world around you in that zone. If you go out with a zoom it is to easy to look everywhere at every distance and miss stuff.

William I prefer to go at it alone in most cases. Too easy to start talking and miss something.

However I do have a friend that occasionaly goes with me. He pretty much sticks close by and takes pic of buildings, ect. so we know better then to bother each other with chatter unless we're in the car or at lunch. He also is very patient in the event I stumble onto something that I spend the better part of the day at like the church group whose members dressed up like mimes.

"my advice is to go out with a specific camera/lens combo at the start of each shoot and use that all day, this works really good with prime lenses."

My advice is to choose one camera and one lens (this may be a prime or zoom on a digital or film camera, or pinhole or a holga) that you are comfortable with and shoot that ad nauseum. Emphasis on ad nauseum.

"You will force yourself to be much more observant to the world around you in that zone."

No you will not. A piece of equipment won't do that for you. The reason why you want to limit yourself to a simple equipment and process configuration is that it's easier to remember better. Most of us are not taking notes, or have good memory. If you do have extremely good memory that will let you learn on the other hand, go ahead and play around with different combinations of focal lengths/cameras/film/whatever.

That said, I trully suck at street photography! It's been three years and I still use just one lens (50mm), and STILL didn't learn anything about light or composition.

Marc, hmm, maybe it is just the kind of partner you have. We talk a little bit, because it makes the time more enjoyable. You're bound to miss shots, but it doesn't really matter unless you're doing it professionally. Our conversations are more like "hey, do you did that? That looks pretty cool. That's a good shot, but you might want to try this angle and brighten it up more". We have similar SP interests, so we shoot the same thing. We also have similar SP philosophies of being non-intrusive, fly-on-wall mentalities. We rarely get in each other's way.

Now, does two photographers cause more of a disruption than just one? Are people more cautious if they see two people snapping away? Maybe they will think there is a pop star around...?

leslie - i haven't gone to darfur yet but am busy doing other things at the moment. you are probably right that no one needs to be a smartass. i just wasn't sure how the original writer's question ended up in a set of recommended camera combo. ok, given you put a smiley face and all that. how does your combo solve her sp problem?

>>>ok, given you put a smiley face and all that. how does your combo solve her sp

problem?<<<

M, if you would have taken the time to read the thread then you would have realized that

my second post of this thread (of the hexar AF) was *directed at Dan* whom wanted to

buy a hexar af from his other recent post. I already answer Samantha Chang question in

my first post which was near the top of this current thread.

Now I suggest you read ***attentively*** before making such smartass respond in the

future.