I need to buy a telephoto lens under $300! HELP!

jams

I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on budget lenses. I do

not have alot of money to spend...I am ok with 3rd party lenses as well. I

dont care about build quality...i just want something contrasty and sharp.

THank you!

I think more information would help. What sort of telephoto, e.g. what range? What camera because if it is for DSLR then there will be a crop factor to apply to any telephoto lens. My advice is check out e-Bay where there are any number of reasonably priced second user optics for all budgets. I bought my 70-210 f/4 Nikkor AF for about $150 and on my d1x that is equivalent to 105-315 and it is a nice lens.

Telephoto: are you looking for a prime or zoom, or does it matter? What focal length do you want to cover? 100-150mm? 200mm? 300mm? 400mm?

If a prime tele around 200mm meets your needs, then look at the Nikon 200mm/4 AI(s). If you need something longer, add a teleconverter to that. With the TC, you'd be in the neightborhood or around $250.

KL

I have the Tamron as well and it's a great lens. It's a little slower than my Nikon's but it's also on the less expensive end so there needs to be some give somewhere. Better on being a little slow to focus than on sharpness.

I have a lot of fun with it. I think I paid about $189 at Adorama.com

Carolyn

I paid in the $280 range for a user-300mm f/4 Nikon AF tele--actually it looked new. It is a fairly early AF model and is a little slow, but very usable for my needs. It's also as sharp and contrasty as you would expect from a Nikon prime lens. You might look around as there are a lot of them on the market and prices are cyclical.

thank you everyone for your response! I am looking for 70-200mm range. I LOVE PRIMES.

I currently own a d80 and a d50.

I will look into the Nikon 200mm f4 and the Tamron 70-300mm

ANy more suggestions will be appreciated!

I agree with Shun...you might as well keep your 80-200mm/f2.8D ED AF. I don't know what kind of shooting environments you work with (I suppose you?re trying to explore portrait and/or weddings), but you're gonna want a fast lens that doesn't compromise sharpness and color with budget pricing.

Imo, if you're trying to make up money for another D80, I think you should wait a bit. Right now, I work with a D200 and D50 for backup, and I frequently swap out and test my lenses on both bodies. The shots taken with my D50 aren't a far cry from the quality of my D200. The only thing that bothers me is the 6mp res, but that?s only because I have to make prints larger than 8x10 on a regular basis. But I digress. I guess I can understand why you would want another D80, but I think you should keep lenses as first priority and hold on to what you already have.

If you really feel the itch to sell your current equipment to make money for the D80, I would second NTBD.net media's recommendation for the Nikon 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF. Also, I would recommend the Nikon 105mm f/2.8D AF Micro (the predecessor to the newer 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Micro). Both can easily be purchased through eBay for under $300 if you make smart bids.

Considering your budget and my bias towards slower lenses and the selection of third-party lenses in this range, these primes are what I would consider if I were in your shoes. Also, it won?t hurt to spend a pinch more money for quality Nikkor lens unless the alternatives are of matching quality but way cheaper. Being a student with a tight budget sucks, but good luck with your search.