shutter sound of eos350d/rebel

florainer

This might sound a bit weird, but after working for nearly a year with my eos

350d i cant stand that ridicolous sound any longer. Owners of this camera might

know what I'm referring to: the film transport like noise the 350d makes after

having taken a shot. The problem is when you shot in very calm places, this

noise is simply disturbing. So my question is: is there a "soft" way to get rid

of it? (e.g. firmware uptate) and if so, can you provide a link?

It's the real sound of the shutter, reflex mirror and mechanism cocking. The only "soft"

method of reducing it is a sound blimp or towel warped around the rig. Personally I'd

describe this sound as pianissimo and virtually silent on city streets or windy field.

Nevertheless, perhaps you should consider a deluxe point 'n shoot as they lack both a shutter

and reflex mirror (the shutter sound is fake and may be disabled). There's always the M8...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Florian, for what it's worth, the sound of the shutter (you're likely also hearing the mirror flipping up) on the 350D is considerably quieter than on other models (like my 20D). If there are situations where you absolutely can't have any sound while you are photographing, you're either going to need to physically soundproof your camera or get non-SLR digital camera.

Thanks for the answers...

of course i know there has to be a sound but there is a difference between the "clack" on a eg. 10D or 1Ds (which I find pretty natural) and a "zeeeep" on my 350D. and im pretty sure that this sound is artificially added, because there is no film to transport. ;-)

<<The problem is when you shot in very calm places, this noise is simply disturbing>>

Have you stood the same distance away as your subject and had someone else trip the shutter or are you making this claim with your ear 3 inches from the camera?

"and im pretty sure that this sound is artificially added, because there is no film to transport.

;-)"

Nope that just ain't so. The final sound is the camera cocking the shutter for the next round.

Back in the day, we had to manually cock the shutter. My old Zeiss had a little lever on the

lens for cocking, a separate shutter button and a crank for film advance.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p><i>and im pretty sure that this sound is artificially added, because there is no film to transport.</i></p>I can see why you would think this, given the quality of the sound. The difference you're hearing is due to the inherent design differences between the models. I don't believe it's possible to make this sound go away, without camera body manufacturers introducing sound-proofing design into their bodies. ...and I don't think the economics are there to justify doing that, despite my desire for silence.

<p>On film cameras, the sound produced by the film transport is completely different than the sound generated by the shutter and mirror movement. I think your confusion of the two is contributing to your perception of the sound coming from the 350D as being artificial.</p>

hm you all confuse me... i always thought Canon might have added this noise artificially (you know to remind the newies in digitalphotg on the good old days... and this didnt seem to be that unlikely, brands do this quite often; the fact that there was no such sound on a 10D comfirmed me in this view) However, this is not a reason for throwing it in the nearest garbage bin, because apart from that (well and other minor flaws) I like it alot. have a nice evening.

The difference between the sound the 10D and 350D make is likely in the mechanism that moves the mirror. I'm not sure about the 10D, but on the 350D, you can set custom function 07 to turn on mirror lockup. This will help you better differentiate the sound of the shutter from the mirror and illustrate my point.

When I went to a 350D from a 300D I noticed a difference in the shutter sound. FWIW the 350D sounds more like my film EOS 300 (and more pleasant), than the 300D. I think it must be a slightly different motor that cocks the shutter.

I doubt Canon would have added the sound just for effect.

The previous answer reminds me of a joke: small cars and scooters don't have accelerators - they have volume controls.

I was kinda hoping that the 30D would be quieter than the 20D, but no luck there either. I'm going to look the royal ass when I have to photograph some plays and classical music later this year - I'd enjoy the 350D's noise if I were you ;-)