Fujifilm announces new highend P&S

chris_lee21

A lot of casual shooters complain about the quality of the prints they get at home on their inexpensive printers, and if they get them made at the drugstore they may as well just shoot film. Just about every week CVS or Walgreens or somebody else advertises four-packs of Kodak or Fuji ISO 200 color film at $5.99.

Al, if you're going to get 6x4's from Walmart or Costco you might as well use a cheap digicam and give the clerk a card to print them up and save the trouble of cheap film and processing. Whether they are negatives or start out as digital media, the printing process is exactly the same on exactly the same papers and exactly the same machine. Any camera made today will give you a decent 6x4.

No offense taken Andy, but some people just LIKE film, they like having negatives that they can hold and look at, or just possibly they might like the look of film produced prints. Kodak and Fuji amateur films are a lot better than the private label. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. And then there's the reality that most people never get prints bigger than 4x6. Not everybody orders 20x30 prints from their Leica negs either.

Fuji was actually quite profitable from film camera sales last year. The Natura line was a big

hit and they introduced additional models this year. Frankly, I think in Japan people have

more balanced and informed views about the relative strengths and weakness of film versus

digital and many people still shoot film, either entirely or in combination with digital. Their

magazines are also not as biased towards digital as the US ones.

Stephan: In terms of image quality I believe the Klasse's is meant to be more like Leica CM or

Contax T3 than the Natura you have.

Outside of Leicaphile collector types who may buy one in hopes of it becoming a neat novelty item years down the road (don't count on it), I can't see a sizable demand for something like this. I give it 2-3 years on the marketplace. Outside of the independently wealthy, I can't imagine too many people taking $700 out of their photographic budget to aquire yet another P+S. Now if Fuji gave you free film for life with it we'd have a deal.

What a coincidence. I just loaded my Rollei 35AFM (rebadged original Klasse with 38mm, f/2.6 Apogon lens) with some expiring Reala a couple of days ago. What a fantastic lens. Is just as sharp if not sharper than the Leica CM and Contax T3. I have all three of them. This new camera is obviously built on the same body. One difference appears to be that the dial on the front of the new "W" now seems to control exposure compensation, while it controls zone focusing distances on my model.

Do you suppose the "W" designation is in honor of our president, who recently pledged to defend Japan from N. Korea with nuclear weapons if necessary?