DVD photo archiving

I'm in the process of trying to create an optical (DVD) backup of my entire RAID

system. I am currently using Dobry Backuper but have run into multiple problems

with the program and I just don't think that it's reliable enough to use on a

regular basis. So, I'm wondering what other people are using to backup their

files and WHY you like that program.

Nero Suite Version 7 contains "BackItUp" which is a reliable backup program. You can backup files, directories, partitions or an entire disk (or set of disks), completely or incrementally (newer files only). It will call for as many discs as required, CD or DVD, with or without compression (I prefer without, because you can recover the files without Nero). The latest version, an update available for download, will allow you to opt out of splitting files smaller than 500 MB. Because "BackItUp" can split files, you can use it for video AVI files too.

I've had 5 or 6 hard drives fail in the 4 years I've been burning DVDs, and no DVD failures (except during burning, which I test). I do not consider external disk drives suitable for archival purposes, not to mention that I would need several terabytes of RAID for this purpose.

I keep all my files on 2 separate drives. I frequently ensure the 2 drives are mirrored through a .bat process invoking XXCopy. This simply makes sure the files at destination match the files at source, and deletes destination files no longer existing at source. I haven't a clue as to what RAID is.

When the drives get down to about 20% freespace, I do a double back-up to DVD, one for working, one for archive. I don't use anything fancy for burning, just Nero Burning Rom. I keep a text file log of what's on each disk, and move the files to a special directory for the burn, then to another directory after the burn. So fairly fool proof. I burn slower than the rated speed, and verify the process, through Nero.

When the burn project is done, I delete all the burned file directories, and carry on scanning.

• 6 months later...

You can use Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder which is very powerful and very popular now, many friends and I like it very much. It's very easy to create a customized DVD slideshow with photos and videos, and to add music, transitions, and cool pan/zoom effects and make beautiful DVD menus. Also, you can create .mp4, .wmv, .avi, .3gp movies from videos in other formats for our iPod, Zune and 3GP Cell Phones, Youtube .etc.

To be important, it has great photo and video editing function that can meet all our needs. For example, you can perfect your photos with attractive frames, special mask effects, and rich Cliparts, Wordarts or Text. And it is easy to crop music to sync with slideshow. You can use the video edit function to trim the video, add the caption and frame to the video, and change the original audio with your favorite music, etc.

You can download it free here

http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/dvd-slideshow-builder.php?sid=8

And a specific tutorial is here

http://www.photo2vcd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1452

Some useful information such as tips to make slideshow awesome is here:

http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/other/popular-way-to-hold-memory.html