I get to Shoot the Governor! Any advice?

blknwhtfoto

Hey guys,

I'm a freelancer for my university's newspaper and I have been keeping track of

when the governor and other candidates for Congress will be coming through town.

I got a call from my editor and let him know about it and I get to shoot it.

Its going to be an outdoor event(weather permitting) and most likely will be

overcast(Oregon in the fall). I will be shooting with my brand new d80 18-70 and

a sb-600 if I need it. Is there anything I need to know when shooting someone

that is relatively prominent? I'm not worried about my shooting skills, but

this is my first real news story. Before this everything has been feature

stories and it seems like this bears a bit more weight.

I'm just nervous, but I can't figure out why.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

I think if I were in your situation I'd be nervous too. Not because the subject is prominent, rather I'd be nervous that I'd get assigned an area to shoot from that was too low or too far away, or has signs, poles, or wires blocking my view or bad light.<p>

The thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't matter if the person you are photographing is famous or not. The same guidlines apply if the subjects are friends, neighbors, co-workers, classmates, or total strangers. <p>

You will find that the event is a minor circus, a "photo op" and easy to shoot. Do your editor and the industry a favor - if there are a bunch of media types, then step back with a wide lens and show the whole scene. Don't try to abstract it with close-ups of the Gov; that serves his mission, not the journalist's, readers and history.

FWIW I have photographed US presidents (Nixon, Johnson) during the hot years and the only special consideration in order to be allowed generous access was not to carry a camera bag - just two cameras - and never wear a long coat. And smile. The Secret Service folks are spooky and don't tolerate risks.

Your assignment should be a cake walk.

Just relax, he probably will be coperative -try to use his own Ego- Usally policians have a big one. They usually coperates with photograpers in public events.

Plan your shoots, make a mental map off the places where you can take good pictures. Walk the place prior to the event so you can anticipate the best places to have good shots.

Like Ocen says ''Politicians are car salesman that make less money'' other times they are Actors!

First of all: be careful about using the phrase "shoot the govenor " around his staff and

security detail ;-)

Since this isn't a portrait session, just coverage of a campaign whistle stop, I'd do several

things:

-- make sure you have plenty of memory cards and photograph every one by themselves

and with other people especially in reception lines.

--make sure you have extra batteries.

--beg, rent or borrow some longer glass --a 70-200 and a 300mmf/2.8 or even longer.

You never know where the photographers deck will be in relation to the speakers and the

crowds.

-- get two copies of a letter from your editor saying that you are indeed on assignment.

-- find out who you need to talk to to get accredited for the event.

-- getthere very early to stake out your spot.

-- if you do get hold of some long telephoto glass, bring a monopod. Holding up a big

lens is both boring and tiring --both of which take away from your concentration.

-- make sure you can move and react fast.

heh, I guess "shoot the governor" is a fairly uncommon phrase outside of this community huh?I got all squared away as far as accredidation, I will look around for the glass. I'm going to buy some longer glass when my next financial aid check comes as well as a good printer.

Thanks very much guys,

I'll make sure to post it when I'm done!

Mike

Mike

whatever you do don't get caught up with the equipment bug. Beleive me the last thing you are going to need for this asignment is a 300mm 2.8. I hate to disagree but don't rent anything or confuse things with too much equipment remember less is more and your not covering the world cup or a royal wedding,these people want theirpicture in the paper.

If you have accreditation you should be fine with your 18-70.

Above all be assertive don't be afraid to push to the front and try and pose a picture, maybe the governor with a local kid or something, if there are other photographers there don't let them intimidate you be polite but not submissive remember your job is just as important as theirs. It really bothers me when people get caught up about equipment it is really a very small part of the equation.

good luck

Steve

This is a big election year. In Oregon you have a very prominent race for Governor. What is happening with these races is big names are coming out to stump for the candidates unlike never before. The races in my area have had the President, Bill and Hilary Clinton, John Kerry, Howard Dean, Ted Kennedy, Jesse Jackson, John Edwards, Nancy Pelosi, and many others come out to support candidates. Be prepared to see names bigger than your candidates as it gets closer to election day. This time of year the candidates schedules are very tight. They're doing several appearances a day and you won't get any alone time with them. They'll have their aides with them and their driver constantly pushing them along after the event. For the most part you'll have plenty of opportunities to photograph them at the event, they all pose and press the flesh quite a bit...with one exception...if there is something bad in the news about them at the moment. A few days back I was shooting Howard Dean with one of my candidates and it was such a pain because we got quite the run around about if they had arrived, if they were together, what entrance they were coming in, etc. They ending up together for probably less than a couple of minutes and made for pretty lame photos. That day a major poll had been released showing the candidate trailing by double digits. So media access in that case wasn't great. Otherwise, no need worry. You'll probably end up shooting the gov. a half a dozen more times before election day. Good luck.<div>00IaE6-33192784.jpg.76ab5282df0920d4e4aeb5e8eadf42f7.jpg</div>

I always remember the advice I got a very long time ago from an old and embittered press photographer who had been doing the job since WWII: 'A picture of a politician is a picture of a politician but a picture of a politician with ten local kids is money in the bank'. Just make sure you get all the kids' names right.

All good advice, but also be prepared with some wide angle glass in case you can squeeze in front of everyone else. Try some shots holding the camera high over your (and everyone elses) head angled down at the important folks. Don't forget your clothes. A conservative suit, dress shoes, white shirt and neck tie. If you're dressed more like your subjects than the other photographers you'll be ahead of the game. If you can, get a picture of yourself shaking the governor's hand too. Hand your camera off to somebody else for a second. Click on my name to see what a great picture a Secret Service guy got of me with Clinton. I have pix of myself with a whole bunch of famous people, and I just wish that I'd started doing it years earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

Get close, use the largest piece you can get in, aim for the head or chest, and don't stop shooting until empty!

Now, if you prefer the more telephoto approach; away from the crowd with a clean getaway...find a nice schoolbook depository nearby and practice, practice, practice your technique ahead of time!

Keith

• 4 weeks later...