Bad html code

sknowles

Folks, occasionally when someone uses html format to start a thread or reply to a post, they will forget to

close a hyperlink tag. Most browsers are robust enough to automatically close the link at the end of the

post (another major html code tag). Safari, however, won't close it, and the whole thread is hyperlinked. I

would suggest either a simple html checker, looking for active opening and closing tags, or a way the

original poster or someone can edit it after posting. This doesn't hurt the dislay of the thread or Web

page, it's just bad html code which can be readily fixed.

Just an observation and suggestion.

Moderators do fix HTML errors. It's not often needed but I know that I do it several times each week.

If you see such a problem, just let the forum moderator (or me) know about it and we'll fix it. It's possible that you see things in Safari that don't show up in IE (which I normally use).

<i>when someone uses html format to start a thread or reply to a post, they will forget to

close a hyperlink tag</i>

<p>

Actually, it happened once when I ended one of my messages with italics... and, having

noticed the

problem, I had been careful to double-check it was closed. Maybe it was like that time I

went into a luggage shop thinking "I must not say 'fanny-pack' " and said it anyway, or

maybe the software really does throw away a closing tag that is the last thing in the text.

<p>

The design is fundamentally incorrect. You shouldn't be stringing together raw HTML

strings from the database. It is also a security problem.