advice needed......

shawnee_pedraza

I'm just starting out in the photography world, although I've loved it forever. I hope to have my own small

business someday...please look at my photos and give me advice....

I use a nikon d80 and I mostly use my 50mm lens.

http://www.photographybyshawnee.smugmug.com

p.s. childrens photography is my favorite so if there is anyone who can offer extra tips that would be great!!!

thanks

What version of photoshop are you using? I haven't bought any software yet and wanted some advice. I have heard photoshop elements 7 is the best for me for my budget right now. I have the same camera (just bought it) and pretty much the same lens. I LOVE your style. It is dead on with most of what I do and like.

Some of the first few outdoor shots are overexposed. The family shots are nice. Some of the closeups of the infants lying down are slightly out of focus, either in one eye or the other. All in all, they look pretty good. If you aren't already doing so, use manual mode and see what you can make the camera do. Good luck!<div>00RhQB-94991684.JPG.ad8f65ec0e8f265bcde45a9a1bf68469.JPG</div>

Your style is great. I love the environments and props you have chosen, and the poses are cute. The black & white with the little girl is really lovely.

I would look at white balance on a couple of these photos (pic 2 is too blue and pic 5 is too yellow). Balance in photo six looks great, though. Either fix the white balance, or color balance these afterwards, is my advice.

If you're using the 50mm, does that mean you're having to get really close to your subject? Because the baby in pic 8 looks, well, scared. In a few of these, the subject looks frightened or insecure. If there is a way to make them feel any more at ease, I would try to do so. Maybe using a longer lens and standing further away while Mommy distracts the baby with happy faces would help? You could still get the same shot, but you'd be outside of scary proximity?

As for the out-of-focus eye, one more aperture stop should fix that (do f5.6 instead of f4, for example, and shoot in aperture priority so you are in control of the aperture). Yes, you'd add a some of depth of field, but if you think the background is too far in focus, you can always blur it up a tad in photoshop. It's easy to blur, and hard to get back focus you wish you had.

I like the way you show children just being themselves. It's very nice.

<p><span style="color: #333333; font-family: georgia; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 20px;"><a style="outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; color: #003399; text-decoration: underline; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; border: 0px initial initial;" href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=4658131">shawnee </a></span><br>

<span style="color: #333333; font-family: georgia; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">I really liked your portfolio. Just to be starting out in the photography world you have a very nice idea of what you do want to show.</span></p>

<p><span style="color: #333333; font-family: georgia; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">Congratulations</span></p>

<p><span style="color: #333333; font-family: georgia; font-size: 13px; line-height: 20px;">JC</span></p>

<p>Great pictures — I'm not sure what sort of "advice" you're seeking... maybe you just want a little praise. Other than your focusing, in a few shots, being a little awkward (i.e., on elements other than a child's eyes), there's nothing to distinguish your portfolio from that of a (talented) professional.</p>