color shift with post

paulmoore

I have been posting mostly b&w shots to my photonet page and have noticed a slight

flatened look.. it is close enough, I just posted a very intense color shot and boy was there a

shift.. can someone explain why?, I'm saving the jpgs in adobe98 - are they being converted

to srgb? is yellow and blue the most effected?<div>00FeDJ-28808184.jpg.18198974b3f8dc54fb9140fdfdc19388.jpg</div>

leon, I hope you aren't scanning your film to s-rgb..

I work in either adobe98 or cmyk swop v2.. my moniter and printer are calibrated for

adobe98, my camera captures in this color space and it is a much larger colorspace then

s-rgb..I don't really want to change that for those who don't have a calibrated monitor.

thanks for the suggestion though.

paul to post an image with some color fidelity you need to save it off to sRGB. Adobe RGB is a wider color space for e.g. your home/print use (even though I doubt your monitor can accurate reflect the suttle differences as I'm fairly sure that it only displays sRGB as well. The only Adobe RGB monitor I know of is the high-end Eizo one which cost $5,500).

So when you have finished post-processing your image, the final step it to click on Photoshop > Edit > Convert to profile > select sRGB and finally save for the web. That should take care of it.

Paul, the problem is in the web-browsers inability to see the AdobeRGB space. sRGB translates much better, even still there's some shifting of color. I find reds don't translate very well. I capture and edit in Adobe RGB, but save<b> web images</b> in sRGB.

okay, I'll go along but how do you explain the difference I see on my screen between

the posted shot in this thread and the link from my page? or do I only see a difference?

they were both from same adobe98file.. the one here is just smaller.

Paul,

not sure what editing software you use, but as Patrick states,

"So when you have finished post-processing your image, the final step it to click on Photoshop > Edit > Convert to profile > select sRGB and finally save for the web. That should take care of it."

perhaps you are assiging the profile instead of converting? you shouldn't notice a thing after converting from rgb to srgb on your monitor. In Photoshop there is a preview tick box to show the results and nothing should change on your monitor. Once converted to sRGB, do the "save for web" thing and you shouldn't notice a thing once posted.

I don't notice any diff from the srgb or adobe98 when on my computer in ps.. only when I

load to my portfolio page does it look weird..if you click on the link in my 2nd post above

and compare to the smaller version on this thread you will see a difference.. at least I do.

Web browsers expect everything to be sRGB, so the shift you are seeing is an Adobe RGB image being incorrectly interpreted as sRGB. PS, on the other hand, doesn't make this assumption and will display images correctly depending on the embedded profile. You'd probably get a similar effect by taking Adobe RGB images along to a consumer minilab (typically set up to expect sRGB) for printing.

Just to correct myself, certain web browsers do implement colour management, but this seems to be very much the exception rather than the rule. To see if your browser does, take a look at this test page:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/web-browser-color-management.html

If the sRGB images look brighter than the Adobe 1998 images, then you (like me and much of the rest of the world) don't have a colour managed browser. If the sRGB and Adobe 1998 images look the same, then colour management is presumably working in your browser (just like it is in PS). But so that the rest of us can view your images correctly, make an sRGB copy for the web (this is under Image->Mode->Convert to profile in my copy of PS7).

okay already I believe you guys..I have added new jpeg to my portfolio single images and yes

indeed it looks just like my adobe98 on my screen..thanks..don't think I'll go back and

convert all the others..

I wonder the effect on my b&w shots..but what is still weird is that the adobe98 looked fine in

this thread.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=538772

thanks for the pointers.

paul, you don't have to believe us or go along, but what we are saying is the only way you will be able to achieve your desired results.

you are obviously a very accomplihsed photographer, do use only sRGB-converted image on your web-site/posts as this is the only way to guarantee that they will be accurately portayed.

happy snaps!

Trevor, some people notice a difference and others don't when going directly to "save for web". There are settings in the "save for web" dialogue box that some are fortunate to have set up properely as defaults. When you go to edit/convert to profile and selct sRGB you shouldn't notice anything. If you are not noticing a difference when just going to "save for web" then more than likely you have saved yourself an extra step.

When I'm working in Adobe 1998 with PS7 and just do 'save for web' without converting to sRGB first, I end up with an image without an embedded profile, but still in the Adobe 1998 colour space. This means it will be displayed incorrectly on the web (washed out colours, since sRGB is assumed). Even in PS, it will only be displayed correctly if the missing Adobe 1998 profile is explicitly assigned when loading the file (this isn't the same as 'convert to profile' - I'm just supplying the information required to interpret the existing colour space correctly).

I can't see an obvious option to do automatic conversion to sRGB when 'saving for web', but it might be buried somewhere (or maybe later PS versions have more options?).

AFAIK there is no automatic convertion to sRGB when saving for the web (but wouldn't it be a great feature!). If I recall correctly Trevor posts mostly high contrast black & white images where this matter would have a lesser impact.

If one is working with a nicely saturated color image the differences should be obvious on a correctly calibrated monitor of decent quality.