Teleconverter for AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED

andyjonesphotography

This is one area where Nikon really dropped the ball - BIG time. Why they never updated their TC's in the early 90's to allow for autofocus with AF-D lenses (particularly this one) is beyond me. It is obviously not technically difficult or expensive (as evidenced by the availability of cheap third party TC's). It is much less important now as most of their *current* lenses (except this one) that would really benefit from a TC are AF-S and can use the TC-xxE series. But there was a time prior to AF-I and AF-S when owners of the 80~200/2.8 or the early AF 300/2.8 were pretty much screwed if they wanted a pro quality autofocus 1.4x Nikon TC for their Nikkor pro f/2.8 telephotos. I guess new 80~200/2.8D owners are still screwed. Nikon has basically abandoned this segment of their users and left it to the independents.

Fortunately there are some good third party alternatives. Fortunate, because if you want a TC that will autofocus with this lens, third party is the *only* alternative.

As suggested above, look for a Kenko Pro 300 or Tamron SP. These are actually the exact same TC (probably built by Tamron with Hoya glass?) with different brand labels painted on the housing. Make sure the converter you buy has "Pro 300" or "SP" in the model designation. Both companies make a couple of models each of 1.4X and 2X TC's - these two are the top of the line models with the best optics. Also, I believe all of the Kenko's have been updated to "Pro 300 DG", supposedly with improved rear coatings for DSLR's.

I don't have the D70s; so, I don't know, but the best way is to check your manual for compatible lenses and TC. For instance, the TC16a does not provide auto focus or 3D matrix metering with the D200. At this point, unless you use Nikon AF-S lenses exclusively, you have to go to the third-party vendor to get AF and 3D metering (e.g., Tamron, or Kenko).

I just found this test comparing the Tamron/Kenko TC to the Nikon TC16A. The Tamron/Kenko comes out on top when used with the 80-200 f/2.8D. <br><br>

Here's the link if anyone is interested.<br><br>

<a href="http://www.nikonlinks.com/articles_teleconverter_review.htm#200mm">http://www.nikonlinks.com/articles_teleconverter_review.htm#200mm</a>

<br><br>

Thank's guys I really appreciate all the info.

Once upon a time camera instruction manuals were 40 pages long, half of that was pictures, and you could read it (and more importantly *understand* it) in 15 minutes. Progress, eh? ;-)

You will be happy with the Kenko/Tamron. I have one for my 80~200. Works nicely and is very well made. Shame on Nikon for not offering a competitive (or any) product. :-(

• 1 month later...

I'm brand new to this. Just got a d50 for Christmas...it came with a lens....I took it back and got the 28-200 on recommandation from the camera store guy.(I wanted to get closer at sporting events and generally just have one lense.) Well - I STILL want to get closer....but I don't want to have to change out lenses all the time if possible. Will this teleconverter work with an AF Nikkor 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens? (Not even sure what those numbers mean....I took my first photograhy class the other night....trying to learn my camera.)

Thank you for any replys!!