No edit capability in forums?

giovannis

There is no ability to edit or delete forum posts. After you type a comment and click "Submit", it is presented to you on a "Confirm" screen. At that point, you have the opportunity to re-read what you wrote, to back up and correct any errors, rewrite it, or change your mind about submitting it entirely.

But once you hit "Confirm", it is published. It is sent. It is gone. Like an email. You can't take it back. Anyone who has registered alerts on the forum, or has their RSS reader set up to get updates on the forum, will receive a copy of it. Google will dispatch its robot to index it. Archive.org will make a copy of it that will be retained unto seven generations (or longer).

If you want to correct or expand upon the comment, you can write another one to do so. But if your comment makes you look hot-headed or less than intelligent, or exposes your weak grasp on spelling, then you will look hot-headed, less than intelligent, and your weak spelling will be exposed. In front of the entire world. Six billion people and their descendents. For all time. Untold generations will be able to read it. Or at least until photo.net, Google, and archive.org (etc) bite the dust. Oops.

Many of my posts have spellling errors, if really important sometimes I add another comment at least trying to correct the ill deed. In a heated thread one must temper ones salvos/returns, to not lower one down into the mire of the mud slinging. <BR><BR>In some message boards that do have "user editing", knuckleheads will purposely fire off a comment to stir up trouble, then delete it when the fire storm starts. This baiting makes the responders look like the knuckleheads sometimes. If the editors/moderators think that adding "editing" is better, they should ponder the baiting that may occur. <BR><BR>With a "no words" thread there is really no preview/"confirm message", one should take extra care and insure one is posting what one wants others to see. Trying the html and text in another window or application sometimes helps catch the bugs before publishing them to the world. <BR><BR>The first few times I posted to no words threads I was abit shocked too there was no confim message type of check.

I posted a response to this thread before either Bob or Brian, just to agree with Giovanni, that indeed I found the lack of an edit button a little disconcerting when I had posted something I wanted to edit.

Why was my simple, polite, and well intentioned post 'edited' and removed?

Is that some kind of joke ?

Colour, well said Nick.

I posted a response to this thread before either Bob or Brian, to agreeing with Giovanni, that indeed I found the lack of an edit button a little disconcerting when I had posted something I wanted to edit.

Why was my simple, polite, and well intentioned post 'edited' and removed?

Is that some kind of joke ?

Colour, well said Nick.

If it's any consolation, even tho' I can edit my posts on the forums I moderate, I usually don't correct my own misspellings or brain farts. I'll do what everybody else does - post a follow-up to clarify a misstatement. If it's a typo, I just let it go.

And I've made a few comments on the b&w forums that I wish I hadn't. But I'm not deleting them. I don't want people thinking I'm some sort of saint who never gets angry or spouts off something stupid. As Brain says, it's there, on the record for all time, someday to return to haunt me.