Sticky Shutter

The shutter button is sticking and not releasing once in a while

right away or I have to tap the camera. This just started.

How do I fix this? HELP? Can I spray it with some WD-40? WHAT?

Is there any fix? Thanks. P.S. Pentax ME is the camera.

hmotte@sc.rr.com

If you're lucky, it may just be the button that's sticky. First, I'd try cleaning round it with a piece of thick paper/thin card (i.e. in the narrow gap surrounding the button itself). If that doesn't help, then if you're fond of the camera, I would spend the money and get it seen to professionally.This is an electronically-timed shutter, so the problem could be to do with dirty contacts somewhere.<p>

I wouldn't be happy about letting Ronsonol loose on this camera. I'd worry about damage to plastic parts, or glued things coming adrift. The solvent lets grease and dirt move, and if they can move to places you can't get at, inside the camera, you could do more harm than good.

I've found that the Electronic Cleaner sold by Radio Shack is ideal for these kinds of problems. It is made to clean electronics, like stereo amplifiers when dust builds up in slider slots. It flushes dirt away and then evaporates. I've used for years on Rolleicords that were sold with "broken" shutters. Actually, the problem was the external mechanism was stuck on a combination of lubricant and dirt. 5 seconds to fix this.