...on diversity

There is data, at least about the visitors. I assume the geographical location of the membership is roughly the same as visitors as a whole.

About 50% of the visitors are in the U.S, and another 6% are in Canada. 6% are in the U.K. The rest of Western Europe accounts for 25%, with most of the particular countries being around 1-2%. The biggest are Spain and Italy. Australia also accounts for 2% of the traffic. In Asia, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Taiwan, Korea, China, and Japan are over 1%, and I have listed them in order. In the Middle East, the only country with significant access is Iran. Africa, Latin America, and Eastern Europe have some representation but are not substantial in terms of visitors, although many of the best photographers of the site are from those countries.

Thank you Brian, these stats are fascinating!

...why do you suspect that there is such small traffic from my own country (UK)? - true we

only have a fifth of the population of your country (USA), but we speak the same language

(despite what Mark Twain said), and share so much culture with one another!

N.

From IP address statistics, my own website traffic is typically related to education and tourism in North America with a mix of hits from RIPE and to a lesser degree APNIC countries. That is very useful information for anyone producing web based content.

From random samples, I have found that almost all of my hits are from Berne Convention countries.

I am not suggesting that non-American photographers are better - far from it, I am

just wondering why there are not more here (particularly from English speaking

countrys) - I know photo.net is run from America, but I have never seen it as an

American site.

Diversity is a very good thing!

I think internet access is (or at least has been) easier and cheaper in the US than in the UK (can't speak for the rest of the world!).

I know back in the days of dialup, UK internet users had to pay for service by the minute, while most US users had a local number for which there was no "per minute" charge.

I think things are changing now though.

Thankfully we are no longer in the dark ages - most people in the UK who can afford

a digital camera have Broadband!

...perhaps it is a matter of advertising - does photo.net advertise in US photo

magazines - you don't here in the UK - I love this site, but only stumbled across it by

shear chance!

N.

I never tried to quantify it but I am surprised that UK is not more represented. There are several who I have identified as UK residents whom I especially watch for. Of course it may be that those particular parties seem to indulge more in extended discussion and thus seem more predominant. BTW, wasn't there a thread several months ago in which every one who responded identified his location. Perhaps that could be factored into the visitor statistics.

I agree Nick. I would love to see more photos from foreign countries, especially their landscape photos. I just think word of mouth has a lot to do with it. I'm from the States, and someone reccomended this site to me and I have since recommended this site to many others. Give it time. It'll grow.

Perhaps us Brits make up for lack of numbers with our unusually loud mouths?

On a serious note, maybe it's something to do with income levels, Americans tend to have a higher standard of living which probably equates in some way to more camera sales (from expendable income). Somewhat tangentially, some articles I've read maintain that photography is also linked to a psychological phenomena of collecting/keeping the outside world ordered, this is predominant in the west, perhaps as a break for modern living? - perhaps you can shed light on this Nick, I'm just paraphrasing and probably in a very poor manner?

It's certainly interesting.

English is not an universal language. Imagine photo.net was in spanish, and every participant of the site wrote in it.

How many of you would get past the front page?

I'm lucky to be fluent in english, but most of my friends and many better photogs than me are not.

In my latin-american opinion and experience, internet access is not even a factor compared to the language barrier.

>If you look at Photo Points it seems there are more contributors as well as visitors from the UK and from continental Europe. This does not make it better, just more diverse.

Even if 100 percent of the users were in America, the site could still be seen as diverse... America is not American without diversity. That said, I still would like to see more people from all over.

Well James, Europe is not European without diversity either. What makes places like Photonet so interesting is that diversity is multiplied by the participation of people from all over the World. If it was only American or European it would surely be a less interesting place to frequent.

Anders