D200 battery life

todd1664878707

I did a search on this, but couldn't find the answer I was looking

for. For those with experience with the D200, how does battery life

compare to the D70? I'm about to order one, and didn't know if I

should pick up the vertical grip to go along with it. With my D70, I

easily got 600-700 exposures without replacing the battery. Could I

do the same with the D200? I realize there are many factors which

affect battery life, so I'm just talking ballpark numbers.

My D200 sucks the life out of the batteries<g>. I bought the MB200 grip and the extra battery it holds and now enjoy more reasonable shooting capability.

In my experience, the D200 gets fewer shots than what my manual says, but the MB200 gives me a good days worth of shooting, unless I use the flash. Then it drains the life out of the camera. I shoot main RAW + Basic and usually get 300-400 shots on 2 batteries, but then I review nearly every shot in LCD for what I use it for.

With the D200 the battery life is much shorter. Typically I get about 250 exposures (RAW) from a fresh charged battery. I check the histogram after almost every shot and the LCD screen seems to be the main contributor to the battery drain.

I have the vertical grip and find it useful but you must be aware that the D200 with the grip is really very big camera.

Regards, Marko

Take a look at Bjorn's review. The data is useful for seeing the effect of different file types and sizes. What I've found out is that if you turn that LCD on, either to check shots or make menu changes, it really kills the battery. When shooting a wedding (not the formals with separate lights and critical checks) 500 shots, with a quick check here and there, is pretty reasonable. For right now, I bought two extra batteries.

The D200 eats batteries. With the D70 I was able to do an entire wedding with one battery. I did my first wedding last week with my D200. I brought along a spare battery just in case. Before the banquet was over both batteries were exhausted.

My D 200 is my first digital camera. I have found that accessing info on the menus and changing menu settings is a huge drain on the batteries in my MB-d200. Using the LCD screen to view the image and histogram is another big drain. Taking RAW images is not that bad. I discovered the hard way that one day in the field (One and a half 2 GB cards) killed two of the batteries that fit into the MB-d200. I have not found that flash use has that much impact on the batteries. Joe Smith

I just got home from a championship basketball game. The Phelps School vs. Wyncote,

Phelps took home the trophy. Anyway I shot 328 photographs, RAW (uncompressed) +

JPEG Fine (size Priority), totaling 5 GB worth of data. I shot with the vertical grip with two

batteries but only one battery was used the whole game. All 328 pictures were taken off

the power of one battery back that reads 49% remaining right now. I only looked at the

LCD maybe 5-6 times but you have to say that the D200 is excellent on battery life, if your

not staring at the screen all day. Approximately 1200 shots per 2 battery packs in the MB-

D200 is way more than enough for me or anyone to take in a day.

Lukas