Prize 30D UNBELIEVABLE.

peter_houtmeyers

Hi

I bought a 20D about 14months ago and paid about 1700 Euro's. Now

you can already order the new 30D body at a very low price over here

in Europe. The price is even 300 euro lower than was expected by

dpreview. Why would they allready lower the price so soon .....its

only a few days after the official announcement.

The link to this site http://www.cornevaniperen.nl/products.php?

cat=116

That does seem like a very low price for a 30D in Europe (1200 Euros). If it's a real price (not an error) and it includes all taxes (which I think prices in Europe normally do) it's around the same price that the 30D is selling for here in the US ($1399). This is odd only because prices in Europe are normally higher than US prices (which don't include tax).

Jessops (UK) have a pre-order price of 1180 UKP for the 30D + 18-55 kit lens, which translates to just over $2000. That seems more normal!

The reason why i find this a bit unbelievable is the fact that other manufacturers do not go to this very low price after the first few day's. One would expect a 100 a 200 euro pricedrop after a few months or a half year. Nikon lowered the price on the D200 with 30 -40 euro. The original price was 1700 in Europe when it came on the marked....its still 1660 Euro after a much longer period. I called this site to check if they did not make a mistake in pricing the equipment.....they didnt. Way to go Canon!

If I was you I'd place my order before they change their mind.

I'd be shocked and amazed if you could get a 30D in the US for less than maybe $1375 anytime in the next 2-3 months (unless the camera is a total flop!).

You will probably see ads a at anywhere from $900 to $1200, but they will be from the usual scammers who will then add on $250 to $550 for the battery, battery charger, cables, box, software, strap, body cap, instuction manuals, shipping and handling and the promise not to come over to your house and beat you over the head with a 2x4.

Not bad. Foto Konijnenberg which is IMO a reliable (online)shop with reasonable prices lists the 30D for EUR 1499. I don't know Corne van Iperen but the price seems to be very attractive. OTOH there is already a rebate for the 5D, it seems that Canon are lowering the prices which may be necessary due to the competition.

Manufacturers aren't necessarily responsible for price drops. Retailers can generally sell things for what they want, though the manufacturers may discourage them from advertising their prices in various ways. Canon certainly has not dropped the price of this camera, if the price is even legitimate.

This Corne Vaniperen (dutch online shop)is a very reliable dealer. I know many that bought equipment from him and none of them have encountered any problems so far. How its possible for him to sell at a lower price i do not know. All other equipment sold on this online shop are about equal in price to other online shops. All equipment can be chequed and you do not have to pay in advance...so if there's a problem of any kind you can always cancel the order.

<i>A lower price was the goal of Canon all along. Each iteration of Canon's cameras has seen a lower price than the model it replaced.</i>

<p>

This is not entirely true. There was no price reduction from the 10D to the 20D, nor from the 300D to the 350D. Also, the 1D-II was released at a substantially higher (like, $1000 USD+) price than the 1D was currently selling at.

<p>

Note: It is not clear to me that the 30D actually has a price reduction relative to the 20D. It is not clear what the minimum advertised price was on the 20D recently. . .while some retailers still sold the camera at $1499, it was easy to obtain this camera for under $1200 from reliable sources.

<p>

It would not surprise me if the 30D quickly falls to the $1200 price level.

This price comparison site often turns up the cheapest European deals:

http://www.geizhals.at/eu/a189172.html

Several offers comfortably below 1200 Euro - the lowest is 1156.46 Euro. Subtracting German VAT (16%) and converting for the exchange rate means that a Euro price is at parity with a US price if it is about 97% of the US $ figure.

You'd have to be nuts to pay UK RRP of 1099 UKP (how do Canon get away with setting such a premium in RRP for the UK?) when the 20D is being sold for 749 UKP quite widely. As no cameras will be available until March, wait to see what e.g. Park Cameras and A J Purdy offer by way of more competitive prices. After all, you can buy a 5D for 1600 UKP after cashback - maybe less if you pick up one of the refurbs from Canon Outlet on ebay, depending where prices settle. At least the EU allows you to buy from anywhere within in without any further tax liability, so if UK prices aren't competitive, shop from Germany instead.

<< There was no price reduction from the 10D to the 20D, nor from the 300D to the 350D >>

However, unlike the 30D release, both the 10D-->20D and 300D-->350D saw significant advances in technology. Increases in buffer, MP, response, and reductions in noise. All for the same price as the original. Therefore it stands to reason that the actual cost of the cameras did, in fact, decrease.

With the 30D being a more mature 20D, it would be very surprising if the price did /not/ fall.

You can wish all you want. The D30 price won't drop in the US for a few months, then it will creep slowly down from $1399, just like the price on every new product does. It might hit $1300 by Xmas.

If you want one cheaper, you should probably see what Genius Camera offer it at. They have the 20D at $799, and if you believe that, I've got a bridge I can let you have real cheap...

Wow, that is a good price. Would love to get one at this price!<br>

I am a bit hesitant, because I've never heard of them and until they have some in store that they will sell for this price who knows what the price will be when they are ready to ship? Price at Konijnenberg is a bit high and I guess they will quickly go down to match German prices. But the good news is that it looks like the price for the 30D is going to be somewhre between 1150 and 1350 Euro.<br><br>

Furthermore, Canon Europe is working hard to crack down on grey imports, they've won a couple of court cases which resulted in bad news for some internet shops. They've also reaffirmed that they will only honor EU warrantees.<br><br>

The best price that I've seen so far is Euro 1349 from <a href="http://http://www.fotokoch.de/digifoto/digislrcangeh.shtml">Foto Koch in Dusseldorf, Germany</a>. It's a reputable store I've dealt with before and they only sell Canon stuff with the EU warranty. So this is a price I do trust.<br>

They also sell the 5D for 2765 Euro and then you can apply for the 300 Euro cashback for a final price of 2465 Euro. And the 350D for 679 Euro, first time I've seen this camera for this price.<br><br>

I'll wait and see what the prices are going to do and will order my 30D at the end of May.

Just for information, the 30D is beeing sold at 158 000 Yen + 5% tax in Yodobashi camera store (Japan).

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/promotion/51012273.html

It converts into 1200 euros and 1400$. On the top of that you get 10% in points to buy something in the store.

The new 85 1.2 is at 210 000 yen which means 1600 euros and 1900$.

BTW if you are in Japan, Yodobashi is worth a visit. In Osaka it's a 5 or 6 stories building full of computers, cameras, TVs, rice cookers etc.

Cheers.