Nikon Capture NX - more details

Richard Williams

Just found a link over on Nikonians to Nikon's new site for Capture NX:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/software/capturenx/nxsp/top.htm

Amongst other things, it looks like you can start with a tiff or jpeg

and save to NEF, though why you'd want to do that isn't entirely

clear! (it seems like NEF is here being used as a general image editor

file format that stores reversible changes).

I love the idea of being able to use NEF as a single image file type. I find it a hassle with a mix of JPEG and NEF files when I am doing batch processing. I also have a shots here and there that were accidentally shot in JPEG. It would have been much easier at the time to wrap them up in a NEF and be able to process them with other NEFs at the same time.

However, I�m more excited by the fact that Nikon might have finally produced a version of Capture that is stable (at least on my Athlon 3400 - 2GB RAM) and not a memory hog. I�ve tried the Capture 30 day trial on a number of occasions (after a system reinstall) but it has never seemed any better!

"Other people will be mostly disappointed to find that NEFs are alienware outside of the nikon world and will not be read correctly --if at all--by third party programs."

I use Adobe CS2 with my D2 cameras, and have no problems opening NEF files consistently and accurately. I think you're preaching to the wrong choir.

Peter,

My apologies. I see you are dredging up stuff about NikonScan "NEF" files. AFIK, only NikonScan can handle those - a totally useless option, IMO. This thread was mainly adressing DSLR images (e.g., RAW + JPEG options). I sometimes forget a few people still use 35mm film.