Google Ads

mottershead

Can some of our friends who aren't in the United States tell me what

the Google ads on the site look like. Are they from advertisers in

your country. Are they in your language? How relevant to they seem

to you? Or do they seem to be just the same ads that are being

displayed to U.S.-based visitors, and not very relevant to you?

Are they from advertisers in your country? <b>NO</b><br>

Are they in your language? <b>NO</b><br>

How relevant to they seem to you? I'm not interested in <b>MIAMI PHOTOS</b>, thanks (lol)</b><br>

Or do they seem to be just the same ads that are being displayed to U.S.-based visitors, and not very relevant to you? <b>YES</b><br>

<br>

Screen capture attached... (from Spain)

Brian, I'm in Italy. I logged out and browsed several threads. The Google ads are only occasionally specific for Italians (perhaps 10-15% of the time), and those ones are almost always in Italian, too. but another 30% of the time the ads are at least in the right continent (mostly UK or Austria of the ones I saw). The remainder - probably the majority - are U.S. ads. Mind you, most of those were quite relevant and had no local equivalent anyway - for example, I saw an ad for NeatImage. For Italy, I think this is a pretty normal result at present; web-advertising and web-shopping in general is a little behind the US in terms of uptake!

<p>

The Yahoo ads OTOH were always U.S. based and seemed rarely relevant.<p>

Cheers,

Kai

Hi, from Mexico...

Can some of our friends who aren't in the United States tell me what the Google ads on the site look like.

ACTUALLY MY COMPUTER READS ADS BY YAHOO...

Are they from advertisers in your country?

NO, THEY ARE IN ENGLISH, OUT OF MY COUNTRY. ADS ARE NOT AT ALL RELEVANT: Borescope Inspection Tools, CCTV Lens Store, StreetPrices for Vhs Camcorder, Free wedding cameras.

Here in Belgium (where the situation is complex because we got 3 national languages...) most are in in English and are relevant content-wise but irrelevant from a geography point of view. No belgian is going to hire a US based wedding photographer, for example.

Some, I'd say about 30% are in dutch (my mothertongue) - about half of those are relevant.

Tom

As it happens I'm a Welshman who spent 40 years in London and am now an adopted tyke (Yorkshireman).

I'm getting a complete mix of ads when I sign out and most are not relevant.

But that's the choice of the individual Adwords advertisers, who choose which countries they want their ads to be displayed in

Here in Portugal I never noticed any ads in portuguese or by portuguese companies. Wich is not to surprising considering that we are a small market going through a big crisis. On the other hand it surprises me that there arent some ads in portuguese given the fact that it is the sixth more spoken language in the world. I think the only add I saw that was not in english was in Italian.

Brian

You can see what ads are served by using a proxy server in another country. There are lists of such proxies published on the web. The only trouble is usually finding one that actually works, but it can be done.

I've used that technique to look at what google serves on my site to overseas viewers. Generally they are pretty well targeted. I remember when I was accessing photo.net from the UK last year that quite a few of the ads were UK specific, especially vendor ads.