Photos doing well and then the anonymous 3/3.

John,<br>

Receiving comments (helpful ones I mean) isn't so easy. Try to do your best, try to share interests with the members you've commented-on, be honest with yourself and others, and wait... wish you not too much long! : ) I'm sure feedback will come.

Yann....thanks. I appreciated your comment on my picture. I hope you're getting plenty of good views of yours too. I love your 'postcard' shot.

Ben S.--thanks to you too. After doing baseball all summer, everything else is new to me, and I know that I need lots of work in all areas.

I really want my 1s and 2s back - I miss them, and was so proud of them - who wants to be

popular - not I - popular (i.e 7/7 all the way), is by definition only MEDIOCRITY!

(and isn't it a little bit fascistic to disalow more than one exclamation point?)

...I'm bored with these ratings rants - arn't you?

Nick.

I too vote for the return of 1s and 2s. That, along with the deletion of all future posts complaining about ratings, would be the final solution!

Now seriously, a scale ranging from 1 to 5 would seem more appropriate, as perhaps would hurt less both the fragile and the huge egos.

Mario, I understand your position and it was not your statements that lead me to enter this thread.

I've been around here long enough to have seen many things done to try to prevent this. Here's the problem... abusive people find a way to cheat the system, they are hunted down and stopped, and the way to cheat the system is eliminated... then other/ or the same abusive people find a way to cheat the system, they are hunted down and stopped, and the way to cheat the system is eliminated... then other/the same abusive people find a way to cheat the system, they are hunted down and stopped, and the way to cheat the system is eliminated... repeat this over and over.

kind of like the flu... there are ways to slow it's spread but, we can't prevent it. We have to dread it's arrival every year. everything is being done to prevent it but it's adaptable and persistent nature keeps it around.

Bet you didn't realize you'd have this much problem with with some of these great folks when you signed on with photo.net did you Brian. whew...

I don't think it really matters does it? This isn't a contest and we should all be confident enough in our work that we can ignore an occasional mediocre response to something we treasure. Photography is art, and as such falls victim to subjective whim. The rating system used here has the finesse of a shotgun blast and when our work comes under the aim of such a crude weapon the results are going to be a little unpredictable. Enjoy the accolade, ignore the jeers.

I've gotten 3's before. At first I was upset, but when I post "better" images they don't seem to get 3's. Sometimes I'm emotionally attached to an image I love, and it's hard for me to accept that it's not really all that good technically (or artistically.) Also, just because I worked hard to get a shot doesn't mean it's a great one, and that's sometimes hard to accept too.

In general, there are always going to be some unfair high and unfair low marks for everyone's photos, I think. But I DO notice a trend for me: The photos that I think are my "best" generally average higher marks than my "not best" photos. The photo.net rating, on the average, match the feedback my friends & family give. If they love a photo, it generally gets higher marks here; if they are "so-so" or noncommital on a photo, it usually is one that gets lower marks here.

I think it all comes out in the wash, sort of. Do you find the same for your photos? (i.e., friends/family's feedback tracks the photo.net feedback on average?)

Jennifer

PN is virtualy my only feedback these days. I dont always agree with the ratings in fact I think my highest rated photo (til yesterday)"Spring on ice" (somewhere in my folders) is overrated I think others are underrated "women" for example. But that is not the point.I thought I saw a pattern on the 3/3 I was getting and tried to find out if someone else "saw" it too.

Here's another thing I've noticed. Sometimes if I see a picture all by itself in the ratings forum, it may not look that spectacular. If I see that same photo in a collection of above-average shots by the photographer, then it seems to expand in my mind and look 'better' than it did alone. I imagine that some of my photos are the same way to others, perhaps?

Jennifer

. .. . but there would be a barrage of complaints about lack of "feedback" (in the form of numbers-only for many forum participants).

I wonder how many people would be willing to trade in those numbers for an in depth POW-type discussion on a selected image once a month or so. Maybe I should post this as a separate question.

Maybe not.

Many times I feel the same, I'm not a good photographer, but mny times when I submit a photo to critique, and I know that this foto is original and something different from the rest, the ratings start perfectly, 6/6 5/5 some 7/7. and after a while comes two ou three 3/3 that ruins everything, without any comment or sugestion. I'm already get used to it, but I still care about that fact. The best would be a improved system that just allows you to rate by leaving a small comment, and only after writing some words you could give a 1/1 or 7/7 rating.

Sorry my poor english. Alex

• 1 month later...

I keep getting 3's and in the beginning I was upset. I even deleted a couple of photos out of sheer stupidity, as if the average ratings mean something. Furthermore, any comments I have received are from people that like my photos, not those who don't. How can I improve if I am getting good critiques (and bad ratings) all the time?. I am not so experienced with photography, and along with that immature in receiving bad ratings. I guess I will grow up some day.

Alex's proposal for having to leave a comment after 1/1 or a 7/7 is good in theory. However, what you will get is a number of 1/1's with a comment such as "sucks", "bad", "could have been better" and 7/7's with comment such as "great", "awesome", "fantastic" etc. No actual improvement, don't you think?

I think that in the end, the rating system is fine. I have come to the point to understand the rating of my pictures by the average of rates. If I get many 3's, then that picture is a 3 for the photo.net audience, whether I like it or not. If a picture is good then the average will come up to 6 - 6,5. Unfortunately, I haven't shot one of those so I am stuck with 3's, 4's and few 5's. That's life!

Regards,

Petros