into reality.

I have seveal questions to ask of the Contax users to help clarify

the battery issues that has been addressed so far. I have gone

through 2 batteries so far and I have just shot 6 rolls only. The

cold weather ewe had been experiencing in the Northeast doesn't help

too much.

I like the answer supplied by Tony Mazzuca, in the use of the Quantum

Battery 1+ to drive both the camera and the TLA360 TTL flash. Can

the TLA280 flash also be used in this configuration?

Availability of the P-8, P-8D, and the MP-1 Grip as additional extra

battery power source are nowhere to be found. Any suggestions to

this problem, or does anyone has one for sale?

Additional viewfinder screens. The standard one in the camera is the

MS-2. I am interest in locating the MS-3 that has the Gridlines in

it. Even the MS-1 will be helpful.

I have the option of purchasing the Mack Extended Warranty policy

for 2 Years or 3 Years? IS this a good option for the body and AE

prism? I figured that the lens would not require it as much as the

body and the prism. Any opinions on this?

I hope to use this forum to ask future questions as they arise. For

now, the use of Zeiss AF optics and the extended use of the

Hasselblad line of optics through the use of the MAM-1 adapter is an

additional source for Zeiss optics. The lens must be in manual

stopdown mode using the F function of the shuttered lenses and of

rthe F/FE lenses just stopping down the aperature when ready to

shoot.

Evan,

With regard to your question about using the Contax TLA 280 Flash with Quantum 1+ Battery, the answer is yes it can be done. You will need a Quantum MA2 adapter (connection cord).

To review if you have a Quantum 1+ Battery you will need:

An MCX adapter to connect the Contax 645 camera itself

An MA2 adapter to connect the TLA 280 Flash

An MKZ3 adapter to connect the TLA 360 Flash (Note: This is a change from my last post which called for an MKZ2; Quantum has updated this adapter to the MKZ3).

Quantum has a good web site with plenty of charts to crossreference various batteries, the applicable equipment and the necessary connectors. You can check the Quantum Instruments web site at:

http//www.qtm.com

I hope this is of some help.

Tony Mazzuca

Evan,

Yes the contax 645 is power hungry as you already know. The mp-1 grip solves this

problem with nimh rechargeable batteries. I bought the ANSMAN digi4 batteries and

charger. You can also use this charger in your car. In cold weather, I usually start out with

the grip full of freshly charged batteries and keep a spare 4 aa's and an extra couple of

2cr5 warm in my coat. Although , this week, I purchased a P8 battery pack at

harrysproshop.com here in canada.

They have a mint mp-1 and and another more used one for sale among other c645 items.

They are extremly efficient, courteous and often have contax 645 stuff on offer whitout

the sometimes stressfull or timeconsuming Ebay. Although Ebay is the place I keep on

seeing the screens you are looking for.

In any case, this is a truly stunning system wich has never failed me yet. If i had the chance

to take a mack extended warranty I would whithout to much hesitation though.

good luck Evan

regards..............philippe

Tony & Philippe,

I thank you both for your detail information in regards to an alternate power source for our Contax 645 kit. So far I have played with the camera to fully understand the overall controls. I did not recieved a manual with the camera purchase,nor the neckstrap,lenshood, and various caps. I manage to locate a used neckstrap and lenshood, but no caps yet.

I will look into the Quantum 1+ battery and the other adapters to help with the power source. I will also contact Harry's about the P-8 and the MP-1 grip.

Another question: The M setting (Manual) on the camera.

DO I assume that it means MANUAL setting for the lenses and that the AF lenses will still autofocus but without the correct aperature or shutter speeed? OR does it mean complete MANUAL function even using the lens in manual mode? I am trying to understand if I go this route with my to-come MAM-1 adapter, that all other Hasselblad Zeiss will be totally manual and that the body will not go into an Autofcous motor movement.

Next logic choice of lens and additional accessories:

1. Which lens would be the best choice if I was limited to just one more AF Zeiss lens for the Contax 645? The 35mm, 45mm, or 55mm? Or should I go and get the 140mm or the 210mm? If I go with 2 lens, then maybe the 140mm or 210mm later, but it has to suit my immediate needs.

Additional Accessories:

1. Do I go for an additional Insert or a film back with insert?

2. Is there a need for a second backup body just in case?

How does one tell the vintage and the generations of the various equipment?

I can't seem to find the serial number range to help distinguish the earlier cameras from the later ones. Where is the serial number on the body? I found it on the lens, the film backs, and on the prism.

Otherwise, I think that I will get the Mack Extended Warranty for the body and the AE prism. If anyone is familiar with the Mack nd has experience with it, please explain it to me.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan:

I own, use, and love the Contax 645. I will email you a PDF of the manual in English: look

for it today. I downloaded it somewhere, can't remember where, but it's available out

there.

Keep your eye on eBay and KEH Camera (www.keh.com); KEH has Contax stuff but it

disappears fast. They are reputable and give good service.

Good luck with the finder screens. They are rare as hen's teeth.

No opinions re extended warranty. I bought a demo body as a second, backup camera; it's

covered by the camera's 3-year mfgr warranty. I figure any flaws in the camera will show

up by then.

If you are talking about the M setting under the shutter speed dial: this places the

camera's metering in manual, where you set both shutter speed and aperture. If you mean

the M setting of the autofocus dial that falls underneath your thumb on the back of the

camera: this controls only autofocus modes. M means that you autofocus only with the

thumb button, with the shutter button controlling only the shutter. S and C enable

autofocus via the shutter release; C allows continuous autofocus tracking of a moving

subject as long as the shutter is half-pressed. You can turn the lens focusing collar by

hand in any of the modes, one of many well-designed features of this camera system. I'm

betting that any lens other than a Contax lens will require complete manual focus, but

you'll probably be able to use the lens in aperture-priority autoexposure. Someone with

more knowledge should weight in here.

As to lens choice, it depends on what you usually shoot. I own the 35, 80, 140, 210, and

1.4x Mutar. If I had only one lens besides the 80 it would be the 140, because it's a perfect

focal length for the portraiture I find myself doing a lot of. The 35 is my second most used

lens. You cannot believe how sharp it is. I'd choose it over the 45, especially if you ever

plan on adding a digital back, since you'll need all the "width" you can get due to the

backs' magnification factor. I'd really like the 45-90 zoom and the 350, but scarcity and

cash stand in the way. I'd probably not buy the 210 in retrospect; I just don't use it much.

I also have 4 or 5 film magazines with 120/220 inserts. these aren't too hard to find, and

don't need to be in pristine shape to work. I know some people just use one back with

multiple film inserts preloaded with film, but I wonder how well this works in keeping film

from being fogged or damaged in your pocket or bag. Maybe someone here will weigh in

on this topic.

I bought a backup body because I am committed to this camera for the long haul,

Kyocera's promises of 10 years of support notwithstanding. What happens if some crucial

part is not available? This you have to judge for yourself based on your future intentions.

The body serial number is located on the baseplate in the black label area within the

chrome area. It is etched so faintly that you can barely see it.

Good luck; you'll love this camera.

This will solve all your problem. All Contax 645 owners should have this....Lenmar makes rechargable 2CR5 Lithium-Ion. They are cheap compare to other alternatives. Buy 2 or 3 and they will last for a entire day even for the heaviest shooting. I have the MP-1 grip also. For a long shooting day, I just load up with 4 fully charged AA and 1 fully charged 2CR5. When the AAs are out of juice, I just switch over to 2CR5 and keep on shooting. No other camera can offer 2 different sources of power like the 645. To me, the Contax 645 famous battery issue is really a non-issue. The cost of batteries is no longer an issue. I hope this will help all Contax owners (with or without the MP-1 grip). Go take pictures and enjoy the camera.

Michael and Edwin,

I thank you for your valuable informationa dn experience input in regards to the battery issue as it presents another option to overcome my search for the MP-1 if I am unsuccessful.

Explaining in great depth of the M mode function and of your reasoning behind the choice of lenses (Yes, a digital back is in my future plans!) gives me a good idea as to what I will expect from the lneses performance.

The addiitonal infomration on the Lenmar namebrand rechargable 2CR5 Lithium-Ion battery is a plus to the other described options. I will search out all of these options and will report back to this group.

Many thanks in advance to all that has posted their opiion and experience here.

Evan

Go to http://www.lenmar.com. Then go to digital cameras/new products. You can also buy them through Adorama. I don't remmember the price. I think the 2CR5 is around $35.00 and the charge is extra. I figure for a little over $100.00, you should be able to get two 2CR5 and a charge.......a lot cheaper than all the other alternatives. This is the greatest thing since slice bread for any Contax 645 fans.

I would avoid Mack Warranties like the plague. Several of my friends as well as myself have had very bad experiences with them. In my case, after much delay and unanswered queries, they finally told me I had abused my camera. They never did send it back when I requested that.