Bogen/Manfrotto tripod head for 350D.

anesh

I need a Manfrotto/Bogen head with the most important criterion

being the ability to change from horizontal to vertical with ease.

My budget is up to $110. I've looked at the 488RC2, 3265 and 322RC2

on the web but I'm too remotely located to view in a store. The head

may perhaps also be used on a monopod. Heaviest lens will be the 70-

200mm f/4. Thanx.

I am quite happy with my 350D/70-200f4 on the 488 head concerning stability and ease of use of the quick lock and horizontal/vertical modes

. I will buy the lens clamp later this month though, because you lose height when shooting verticals and i think it's not very convenient...i often find myself having the "greasy" ball in my hand when pushing the vertical release on my battery grip.

Also the 486RC2 flips to vertical orientation too extremely easily; I use it and love it.

<p>

"COMPACT BALL HEAD WITH RC2 RAPID CONNECT SYSTEM / Cat. No: 486RC2 => Old Cat. No: 3413QR and 3055S<br>

Same as the 486 but equipped with a 3157N quick-release camera plate. The 486RC2 is a direct replacement of the 3413QR and 3055S ProBall and Heavy-Duty Double Action Ball Heads.

<p>

A strong die-cast construction, precision machined aluminum housing, and an extremely hard phenolic resin ball provides smooth movements across all tilt positions.

<p>

The 486RC2 features a single ratchet locking knob for 360� pan and a double groove for +90�-90� tilt movements. Camera plate has a 1/4-20" male thread, and head to tripod attachment is 3/8" female.

Anesh:

I've used the 322RC2 for over a year now. I love it. Switching between horizontal and vertical is a snap. I've used it extensively with the 70-200/2.8IS so it will hold considerable weight. The horizontal pistol-grip (as opposed to the vertical 3265) improves stability. Good luck.

I use the 3265 head with bogen 3021BPro legs. Don't get the 3265. I've used it for about 5 months and on vertical shots (which is mostly what I do for a living)it won't hold position. It slants down about an 1/8th of an inch. Just enough to throw your picture so you're adjusting the legs to make it straight. It does have a adjusting tension ring, but it still will not hold my Pro camera, and it is lighter than my 20d set up.

I do like the 322RC2 but fear it might end up doing the same thing in the long run.

Just my two sense,

Heather M.