How long can I leave IR film in the camera?

I did just about everything wrong that you can with some rolls of HIE. Heated them up to about 40 degrees C and back down again repeatedly over about 3 months after being exposed (was on a road trip in Spain). Although they weren't in perfect shape they were suprisingly usable, so I think a month or so in a camera would be fine. Maybe cover over the film window with some black tape to be safe.

Mind you I always use up the rolls really quickly because I have to bracket for every shot, so I only end up getting about 10 images off a roll of 35mm.

Ideal world you use it up quickly. I find up to a month is fine. I'd cover the film window with foil, then tape and make sure the camera light seals are good. You'll still probably get a little fogging if left long enough. Mainly loading and unloading in darkness is most important. When not using camera, keep in dark cupboard.

I did a lot of bad things, just like Dave did, with my first HIE roll but I wasn�t lucky. The whole film was really fogged and unusable. Nowadays I shoot the whole roll within one or two weeks always keeping an eye on expiration date and just like Ivan mentioned the most critical part is loading and unloading the film in the dark. I�m pretty new myself to IR shooting and IMHO if you take long time between shooting and developing, it will be very hard to figure out what went wrong and what went right, only if you take notes��

Regards

Rafael

I agree with Chris - I tend to shoot IR in an old folder camera (Voigtlander) mostly because it's fun and when I get a neg is a medium format. I keep the folded camera in an old light tight 8X10 black plastic bag between shots and after loading. That's probably overkill but it's easy to do. My best successes have been when I shoot and process in the same day.

Having said that, I've also processed HIE and Konica film for folks who have loaded and unloaded in daylight and not taken good care of the film and gotten good negs (although I don't think as many from one roll).

I think the best thing to do is establish a consistent routine, then when something goes wrong (and it will) you have a chance to figure it out.

Good luck

Hi Shawn,

There is NO safe time in the car. Also leave it in the cooler or insulated bag with blue ice. Immediately after shooting, put it back in the cooler. Store IR films in the freezer. The stuff will fog at room temperature in a few hours. Sunlight will often fog through the bellows of a view camera from heat alone.

Maco 820 is a superior IR film, sharper, finer grained, and available in 120 as well as 35mm.

Lynn