Tripod/Head recommendations for 1000mm 6X6 Lens

michael_michaelski

I need to get a tripod to support my new CZJ 1000mm F5.6 and whatever

camera I happen to attach it to (P-6 direct, M-42 and two others with

adapters) I've already checked with RRS and Wimberley who both

decline to recommend their products for this (light green) elephant.

I figure I should go for a capacity at least three times the weight of

the system, or about 96 pounds (3 X 32), based on what has been said

before in this forum. The Arca Swiss B1 series are only rated to 90

lbs. And then there's the question of a tripod to put the whole thing

on. 100mm ball, 150mm ball, flat plate, manhole cover? I will not be

going far from motorized transportation with the rig, but would like

something that could be used outdoors. Please include some price

ranges and your own experiences as a guide. Thanks

Mike

I was in arush when I posted earlier...

If you want a "photographic" support, You should use two tripods with a lens that long

and heavy : one for the lens and one for the camera.

Gitzos are better than Manfrottos and look at Majestic and Reis tripods too. You might

even consider a legst made for heavy video cameras You'll want legsets with geared center

posts. For a head look at Reis, Sachtler (video), Majestic.

Ideally you'd get a Worrell type Arriflex head that is designed for a 35mm motion picture

camera and a tripod tfor that as well -- but that is probably considerably more than you'd

ever dream about spending for a tripod and legset.

Michael,<br>

I suppose that the lens you're speaking about is the Carl Zeiss (Jena) 1000 mm f/5.6 also called "Mirotar" catadioptric lens. (As the longer telephoto 1000mm lens has an aperture of f/8.0).<br>

If I am right, the lens weights 14 kg (30.86 lb), although another CZJ model weighted 16,5 kg (36.37 lb). Its overall length is 51.2 cm (20.15 in) and diameter about 25cm (9,8 in)<br>

Is it the light grey / white version ?<br>

Be that as it may, I wonder if your margin of weight of three times is not a bit <u>excessive</u>, and if a two times margin would not be largely sufficient.<br>

With a two times margin, an Arca B1 would fit. To answer to this question about the Arca B1, do you know that Arca-Swiss manufactures another ballhead, the B2, which has a load capacity of 68 kg (150 lb) ?<br>

You can see this ballhead on <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=367752&is=REG&addedTroughType=search">B&H website.</a> But an Arca B1 costs about $500, and the Arca B2 $650.<br>

Of course, the heavier the lens and the ballhead, and the heavier the tripod. Few tripods for large format cameras could support this lens, either metal or wooden ones.<br>

IMO, the most intersting are probably the wooden german Berlebach tripods, not the current ones, but their UNI system. These tripods are very sturdy, and have a load capacity between 50 and 60 kg (110 to 132 lb).<p>

The difference of capacity between the models is due to the maximal height allowed. Here are the data for 3 models which could support your lens : <br>

Model UNI 4<br>

- Folded length : 60 cm (23.62 in)<br>

- Min. height : 13 cm (5.12 in)<br>

- Max. height : 84 cm (33.07 in)<br>

- Weight : 4.2 kg (9.25 lb)<br>

- Load cap. : 60 kg (132 lb) <br>

- Price : 258 タ (About $308)<p>

Model UNI 14<br>

- Folded length : 87 cm (34.25 in)<br>

- Max. height : 136 cm (53.54 in)<br>

- Weight : 5.7 kg (13 lb)<br>

- Load cap. : 55 kg (121 lb) <br>

- Price : 299 タ (About $357)<p>

Model UNI 24<br>

- Folded length : 103 cm (40.55 in)<br>

- Max. height : 164 cm (64.57 in)<br>

- Weight : 7.3 kg (16 lb)<br>

- Load cap. : 50 kg (110 lb)<br>

- Price : 317 タ (About $378)<p>

Unfortunately, their tripod heads are not strong enough for such a lens. Here is the link to the german <a href="http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php">Berlebach website. </a>

Otherwise, you can also search for tripods for astronomical equipment. Berlebach also makes good ones.<p>

Last, you probably already know the excellent Pentacon website, which presents the <a href="http://www.pentaconsix.com/1000mm.htm"> CZJ 1000mm f/5.6 lens. </a> At the end of the page, you can see some shots of the 1000mm and the tiny P-6 hanging behind it. The camera looks like a Minox ! ;>))<br>

But you'll notice that the tripod head which is used is not a "monster". <br>

But I agree with you, security first. (However twice the weight appears reasonable for me, and I suppose that you will always stay very close of your tripod.)<br>

Jean-Louis,

Thank you for your response. You correctly recognized the exact lens. Maybe I think it is light gree because I've only looked at it under flourescent light - and the box is painted green. I've contacted Trevor (Pentaconsix site) and he says he does stand very close to his when it does go on a tripod. He also recommends the Berlebach tripods, although B&H has a Cullman that will support the same range of weight (over 100 pounds). I have a Majestic 1201 geared head on the way and I'm tracking an Arca B1 at auction. Again, thank you for your insightful response!

Mike

Michael,<br>

You must be careful : the Majestic 1201 gearhead can only support a 15.8 kg (35 lb) weight.<br>

And don't forget always to add the weight of the ballhead or gearhead to the lens and camera's payload to calculate the exact charge which will be supported by the tripod.<br>

Many people forget to include the weight of the head, and it's sometimes very important. The Majestic 1201 alone already weights 2.7 kg (6lb) !<br>

Finally, which "safety margin" will you decide to take into account : two or three times ? (I guess it's two times, if you intend to buy a B1)<br>

• 3 months later...

Jean-Louis,

I did purchase the Uni-4, along with an Arca Swiss B-1G, both rated sufficently above the total weight for my comfort. My next problem is obtaining a suitable plate for the head to attach to, as RRS and Kirk do not have exactly what I think is needed - 10 inch (25 cm) long, central 3/8 screw, stop pins at both ends, otherwise solid plate.

Mike