Canon EOS 30D annoncement

mr._smith

There are *some* improvements over the 20D (in order of importance TO ME):

11 frames for RAW shooting... Nice, my 20D takes a break after 6 RAWs at 5fps...

3.5% spot metering - Nice, about time they put a spot meter in a consumer SLR!

ISO 100-1600 selectable in 1/3 stop increments..." Sort of good, can be handy.

2.5" LCD - about time

ISO visible in the viewfinder - nice.

Some features, however, seem useless to me:

"...Sharpening of in-camera JPEGs can be turned off, which is a first for a Canon entry-level or midrange digital SLR ..."

Why not shooting RAW if you don't want in-camera sharpening!

Anyhow, there's nothing to encourage me to upgrade from my 20D (which is good - I'll keep it for longer! :~)

Specs look good, good enough to kill off the 1D/II for 99% of pros who'd otherwise be

interested.

We're still due for an announcement of something on the low-end, to compete better

on price with the D50-class of DSLR, ie the rumored RAW-less model.

I doubt even Canon marketing could get away with a DSLR that doesn't do RAW!

Anyway, I don't get the fuss; it's only an incremental upgrade to the 20D, nothing revolutionary. Who knows, maybe they made the shutter quietter too, that would be a real improvement!

The real Canon announcement to me is the 17-55/2.8IS, although I wish the would have saved the IS money and spent it on making it a real "L" lens. I never thought I'd see the day they'd make a serious standard zoom for the APS-C format, bravo! (well, lets wait for the reviews)

Must admit the 30d is step forward rather than a leap forward. And I see the dreaded useless print button has made it on to the two digit models...

larger lcd - good, spot meter - good, auto n/r - hype?, picture styles rather than parameters - seems to be a matter of wording rather than technology, bigger burst capacitiy - good.

You can certainly segment your market, but there's a limit. You could try to sell a car with only the driver's seat installed and knock $300 off the price, but it probably wouldn't be a very smart move.

I think a 6MP sensor would segement the market quite effectively.

Well, the same could be said about RAW+JPEG and flash exposure compensation: it's just software. But Canon did decide to leave those out of the DRebel, so it's not unprecendented.

That said, it would indeed be silly to leave out RAW as even a "3000D" would supposedly be as a step from a G series, which do have it.

Now that the megeapixel race is pretty much over for your average Joe, I think a 6MP plastic body would go down quite well in the market.

Andrew Robertson Prolific Poster, feb 21, 2006; 08:10 p.m.

"The 10D and 20D have that too."

They do have self timer and mirror lock up, but these feature are independant of each other and there is no quick way to lock up the mirror.

In the 30D choose the 3 second self timer and the mirror locks up automatically. This feature, as such, is not available to my knowledge in the 10D and 20D.

>.But Canon did decide to leave those out of the DRebel, so it's not unprecendented.<<

Yes, indeed. However, the Drebel NEEDED to stay "down" from the 10D since they both used the same sensor. Thus, some decisons were made based on the fact that tyros would buy the 10D and those coming up from P&S would opt for the Drebel as an entry level camera into the EOS system and the digital world.

Now, things are the same but, different. Canon has established a NEw bootom line (with the 350D) and a new (soon to replaced...likely in September) top of the line, the 1Ds MKII. And a middle ground with the 5D.

My guess is that in Sept. we'll see a 24mp 1DsMK3 and a 12mp 1DMK3.

Even with those featured enabled, the DRebel would still have been a decidedly entry-level camera and no threat to the 10D. It's just some people at Canon were a bit too scared, I guess. I don't see that happening again.

Andrew, I am not sure about the 1D(s). My prediction is slightly different; they speed up the 5D sensor design to 8 fps and use that in the 1Dmk3. Using the 16.7 for that doesn't make sense as they couldn't charge much of a premium on a 1Ds if they can only push it an insignificant number of pixels higher. I think that for the next generation of those two we'll still see a 1Ds with (close to) double the pixels of a 1D.