Anonymous 3/3 Rater

Perhaps a more kind response to the fact that Alan has only been a member for a month or so is to say that if he can't believe this is still being discussed after 30 days, I for one am looking forward to his comments when this is still being discussed ten years from now.

But anyway, go on alan, post a picture.

:o)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the interest in my work. I think that I have pointed out that I am not a

photographer. I am a painter. The subjects that I take part in are related to the Art spirit. I

believe it is not a bad thing that all voices are heard. I do understand that after reading

someones post it is fun to see who the heck the person is in their work. Yes it can be

frustrating when no pictures are posted. But I must add that there are many Artists who

are part of this site who have posted no work. Are paintings ok here? Do you want to open

that door? I enjoy these discussions because I enjoy critical thinking, Art and visual

perception. I have also found that photo people dont really think like painters and this

facinates me. Painters would never care about ratings any more than croping or tweeking.

I just dont see the attraction. I do see it as an addiction though, and you should beware of

the affects it has on your subconcious. I agree with your feelings, I mean i would like to

see Monas work, but I respect her right not to post.

Alan, contrary to your thoughts, I have found that painters and photographers vary little in their thinking or their approach to their art. The medium is of course different. You must learn more about photography and those �artists� who choose this medium. At the same time, just like in painting, exposing a scene on film does not mean you are a photographer just as applying paint to canvas does not make you a painter.

The most successful painters and photographers since the beginnings of each art have been concerned about ratings unless their work is simply for their own pleasure. The great master painters of Europe are good examples. Many were in competition for patrons back then and artists still are today.

That does not mean that artists get addicted to ratings. It does mean that ratings are a valuable tool for feedback on individual images. I, however, will be the first to point out that the current rating system on PN is of very little value for the purpose of feedback.

I would encourage you to submit your own work for public comment and critique. You can do that on artsig.com. Come back in a few weeks and tell me how it goes. High ratings from the Art Spirit do not count.

Guy, I guess you missed my meaning. Sometimes it is better to just agree to disagree. Be

assured, though ,that I'll take a friendly nod from the Art spirit over an uninformed 7 from

you any day. There is a long list of contributors that don't post there work here. There is

probably a reason why they don't. It doesn't make them inferior to you at all. Try to be less

superior and more engaging.