I have the Pentax *ist, and love it. After I saw the posts from Mark

Lindamood and others that the DA 40mm will work on 35mm (despite what

Pentax says), I knew I had to get one. My Flickr photostream shows

how this body/lens can fit into my pocket, and a couple of test shots

that clearly show no vignetting.

World's smallest 35mm AF SLR

40mm is a lovely focal length -- I can understand why it was so

popular on some rangefinders.

<p>Funny you should say that -- just the other day I bought a Konica TC-X and Hexanon 40/1.8, which I suppose is rather similar (but probably very much cheaper: body was ¥2700 with zoom lens, 40mm lens was ¥4200). The Konica body, said to have been made by Cosina, is plastic ("polycarbonate" for the squeamish) and looks and feels like complete trash; but if you can get over this feeling of repulsion, it's handily small, light, and well designed. The lens is highly regarded and seems to be fine.</p><p>I think you'll find that lenses of about this length have been more popular among SLRs than RF cameras, though Olympus kicked it off with a Leica-thread-mount 40mm over half a century ago, and there have recently been lenses in this area from Pentax and Cosina.</p>

The physical <i>focal length</i> of the lens would be the same: 40mm is 40mm no matter what camera you put it on... but the <i>field of view</i> on an *ist will be smaller [than 35mm/"full frame"], because the sensor is smaller; it'll give you roughly the field of view of a 64mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera, which is probably a little longer than you're after. On the other hand, for sheer pocketability, it's a nice combo!

Yes, my *ist is the 35mm version, quite a bit smaller and lighter than the digitals.

The big question, which has been asked before, is why does Pentax say this lens cannot be used on 35mm? The small size and nice focal length make it a great carry around for street shooting.

I know that vignetting, light fall off, is supposed to be the issue, but every practical test I've seen, and the ones I've done, show no vignetting at all. None, zero, zip, nada. I did some close comparisons to my FA 28-105 f3.2/4.5 and FA 50mm f1.7, and there is no discernible difference -- the DA 40mm covers the full frame.

Yes, I checked wide open and several other f stops, nothing. I am shooting more tests, just to make assure myself. Here's one shot I made of the side of my house, at f8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncamikey/101750742/

If you search the archives of this group, Mark Lindamood did much more thorough tests, using slide film, and could find no fall off. I relied on those tests when I bought the lens, which ain't cheap! LOL. I admit, I was a little anxious at first, because there is some slight vignetting in the viewfinder, but the film images appear 100% fine.

<P>The SMC-M 40/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses. Quality is top notch for me, and

mounted on a Super-Program it is the smallest camera that offers Tv, Av and full manual

modes for 35mm. I don't hink the ME/ME Super offer Av. (Of course, with the 40/2.8 this

isn't an issue since it can't due Av anyways (no "A" setting on lens)).

<P>The SMC-M 40/2.8 and SMC-K 135/2.5 now make up my regular "travel" outfit when I

don't want to lug around my EOS gear.

• 2 years later...
I was looking for a small film camera to put in a small opening I had in my Ebony 4x5 camera bag and in searching discovered the Pentax ist. I mounted the 40mm DA limited pancake lens on it and was so wowed by the results and combo that I am now looking for another ist body. Outstanding image quality from a really fun to shoot camera.