Street photography or voyeurism?

ndro777

Not really an answer. It is just a question. Imagine this situation. You get a picture of somebody in the street. That person does not notice it. You decide to publish the photo in photo.net or in a book or else. Do this person has the right to claim the ownership of the photo because he is the main subject on it? And about children, do their parents have the right to do not allow people taking photos of their children, even in a public place like a park?

I can only speak from a US point of view.<p>

<i>Do this person has the right to claim the ownership of the photo because he is the main subject on it?</i><p>

Absolutely not. The photograph is owned by the photographer. Ownership (copyright, generally speaking) has nothing to do with the subject unless the material photographed is copyrighted, or maybe trademarked.<p>

<i>And about children, do their parents have the right to do not allow people taking photos of their children, even in a public place like a park?</i><p>

Not in the US.

Its a bit more complicated than "absolutely not" -- if you photograph a person on the street and If you use the photo for commercial purposes, there are issues regarding the "Right of Publicity" and privacy laws, for example. The distinction between art and commercial use is not always as clear as one would like and varies from area to area.

• 1 month later...
I am studying a Masters degree in photojounalism and am currently writting an essay on this subject. I find your comments extremely useful and interesting. I too regularly shoot from the hip in order to create an utterly candid image. I do also sometimes feel guilty about 'stealing that moment' , but how else can a true documentary image be created, as once the subject is aware of the camera, the subject changes their persona?

Unles it is a portrait, the person in one of many parts in a picture. When on the street I observe the whole scene, frame and shoot. My camera is in plain sight and everyone knows what I'm up to. At no time do I think about the private lives or privacy of the people.

• 3 years later...