Would love some feedback

laurie_m

OK...I'm going to be brave and post a request for some feedback on

some street/documentary photos I shot this past weekend. They're in a

presentation I set up under my workspace.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=313860 I've

been trying my hand at street shooting here and there but want to do

more. While I'll always be a landscape shooter at heart, leaving the

tripod behind and mingling with the masses is both challenging and

liberating.

I really enjoyed your photos, Laurie. I'm a newbie so I won't even venture into any kind of critical analysis of the photos. Your way out of my league. You must have a great way with people as evidenced by the openess of the people in your pictures. From a documentary point of view the photos really seem to have captured the essence of the town.

Good work, Laurie. I only found the shot with the three police officers rather pedestrian. The story that goes with it is rather interesting, but not enough interesting -- definitely not enough to warrant putting up a bland shot. Everything else seemed superb from the previews and from the few pictures I clicked on.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the encouragement. I agree, the police photo needs to go.

Jim, "mingling with the masses" was perhaps just a figure of speech. However, for a landscape photographer, two's a crowd, three or more = "masses". On this particular day, I went from solitary shooting in the cemetery to weaving my way through a crowd during the street parade.

I started out taking photos (landscape, as you know) thinking ppl in my shot "ruined" it, so I'm right there with you on the "masses" thing <g> I've been in situations where I'd love to take pictures of ppl (which totally surprised me) but I feel like a peeping tom or something - or that if I'm observed taking the shot, then ppl will be irritated or feel invaded, or *I* would suddenly become a focus of attention - which I definitely don't want. So I'm still trying to get around that. You have succeeded marvelously :) I agree with the viewer who said you must be good with ppl because they seem so open in your photos. The policemen shot is the only one I'd toss, and some of the others are just brilliant - the beauty shop, the musician and friends etc. More!

Thanks Kathy. My fear of shooting strangers is fading with each attempt. Contrary to my expectations, most of the people I've encountered have been more than happy to participate. This past weekend, in that particular neighborhood, I stood out like a sore thumb. There was no shooting discretely without notice. So, my approach was to just walk up to people, say hello, tell them what I was doing, etc. Keep in mind I'm not exactly a social butterfly. It was truly enjoyable just getting to know people. It sure beats rushing around to get from point A to point B. It made me wonder how many interesting people I've passed without a second glance in my lifetime. I think it also helps to show a genuine interest in them. If treated with respect, rather than just a photo-op, people seem eager to be included. After some conversation, post shooting, I even managed to get model releases from nearly everyone I shot. I never thought it would be so easy and comfortable.

Laurie,

I fear my response is of little use. I adore your work. I love your humanity. This, I know, is not the sort of critique that will make any sort of major impact on your worldview or technique, which I sense you are looking for. My final verdict is: Keep doing what you are doing. Your genius is in your heart.