johndc

Ok so... I have a roll of PanF+ that I shot at 25. I want to process

it in Rodinal at 1+100. I have a Samigon plastic tank that holds

(maximum) 600ml. This means that at a 1:100 dilution I'm using 6ml of

concentrate. But I've heard that you need at least 10ml of Rodinal

concentrate per roll. Is this figure accurate or will I end up getting

weak highlights (or worse, thin shadows) because the developer will be

exhausted?

I'm going to be using a time of 20 minutes.

I hit upon the idea of possibly developing for 10 minutes, stopping

with water, and then developing for another 10 minutes with a fresh

dev solution. Would this be effective or just extra work for no added

benefit?

Or would you suggest switching to something like a 1:50 dilution instead?

Thanks!

From hearsay, I seemed to understand there was a little confusion about Agfa's 10ml

minimum. Some say don't use less, others say the 10ml are required to fully develop a

completely exposed (as in transforming ALL the silver in a film where everything was

exposed to light). As you have shadows on your exposures, you will not be reducing all

the silver halides, therefore can get by with less than 10ml.<p>

In practice, I think there are many using less than 10ml... much less, like 3ml. I've done a

semi-stand at 1:100 using 600ml total which worked fine (printed them last weeken very

nicely), while another I got distracted and used 1:500 in 1 liter (for 2ml Rod) which was

supposed to be 1:300... and that did not work (but it was TechPan...)<p>

Anyway, 6ml will do fine.

You'll be quite safe with 1+100. Agfa's minimum solution seems to be very conservative. I have done 1+200, using 3.5ml of Rodinal with no problems, my standard is Rodinal 1+100 in my 700ml tank and I've even done one roll of 35mm in a 400ml tank at 1+100.

Just use the 6ml and develop as per usual, you shouldn't have any problems (assuming you are developing one roll).

I would go down to 1:200 due to it's naturally high dilution becoming a developer with compensating properties. The times would have to be worked out with testing and with all the variables considered...it would be prudent if you shoot another roll, the same way, in your back yard (or where ever), with the light approximately the same, and use that roll as a testing roll. Also, mixing up a high dilution developer like Rodinal @ 1:200, mix up 2000ml for yourself to have easier amounts to measure out... this way also, after you do your clip tests, you will have the exact proportions/dilutions to replicate your tests! My question to you is, how did you come about the 20 minutes? Clip tests or scientific guesstimations? If it is extra work that renders excellent work... then it is worth it.