Looking for some advice from leica enthusiasts...

evan_litvin2

As much as I wish I could afford a Leica M...its not in the cards right now (I'm a college

student with way to much gear as it is). However, I am considering picking up a small

point and shoot digital. I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix LX1 camera with the fixed

Wide-Angle 28 to 112mm LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT Lens. I was just curious if anyone

here has any feedback about the Leica lenses on P & S digital camera's with the LX1 in

particular. I am also considering one of the Sony's with the Zeiss lenses.

I realize this may not be as much Leica content as might be expected for this forum, but I

feel that the camera does have leica glass so it should be ok to post the question about it

here.

Thanks!

The LX1 was reviewed recently by the U.K. publication Amateur Photographer in the 15 Oct. issue. The magazine also reviewed in the same article the FZ30.

The FZ30 received a somewhat poor mark of 75%, being criticized for lens distortion, image noise, aggressive in-camera processing and poor RAW software.

The LX1 received a marginally better score of 81%. The reviewer liked its panoramic option, large 2.5-inch LCD and metal body. He did not like the lens distortion, image noise, aggressive in-camera processing and poor RAW software -- the same criticisms of the FZ30.

In general, he felt both cameras performed adequately only at the lowest ISO setting and small print sizes.

I've read rather poor reviews in the French press, especially concerning noise. With our first, recent grandchild, I could be interested in a P&S that performs well, ie at high ASA with minimal noise, for low light situations. The best I have found seems to be the Fuji F10, shortly to be replaced with an improved F11. But it is very small (for my largish hands). It all depends what you want to use it for.

If you wish more info on the LX-1 suggest you try Luminous-Landscape.com. He just

returned from China and took one along. He expects to deliver a full report soon. He

praised the pocketable size and the Leica lens. dpreview.com has a full review and liked

just about everything about it except for the noise. Nothing was mentioned on either site

about lens distortion - something which I've never heard affecting Leica branded lenses in

P&S cameras.

Hi Evan,

<br><br>

I guess I count as a Leica enthusiast, and I bought an LX1, so...

<br><br>

I like the LX1 very much for it's size and interface/usability/handling. I wanted a digital that was small & light while having a reasonable way to have manual control, and this fit the bill. I am very pleased with the image quality, although I do prefer to keep it at iso 80. It seems to me that this is not a high iso camera, as the noise at 400 is significant. Other than that caveat, I'm very happy with it. (Others have reported that noise reduction software solves the problem, but I haven't tried that yet.)

<br><br>

There's some stuff on my site that might help you decide...

<br><br>

Words about the LX1:

<br>

<a href="http://www.duke.edu/~ahh2/2005_10_18_LX1First/whythiscam.html">Why I chose the LX1.</a>

<br>

<a href="http://www.duke.edu/~ahh2/2005_10_20_NCStateFair2005/LX1_street.html">LX1 for street photography.</a>

<br><br>

Pix with the LX1:

<br>

<a href="http://www.duke.edu/~ahh2/2005_10_18_LX1First/index.html">A few pix from my first day with the LX1.</a>

<br>

<a href="http://www.duke.edu/~ahh2/2005_10_20_NCStateFair2005/index.html">Pix from the NC State Fair.</a>

<br>

<a href="http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2005_43/index.html">This week's PAW, with the LX1.</a>

<br><br>

Hope this helps!

<br>

-Aaron

<I>(I'm a college student with way to much gear as it is)</I><BR>

and <BR>

<i>I realize this may not be as much Leica content as might be expected for this

forum, ...</I><P>

Maybe this would be a good time to eschew what's not important and concentrate more on

making images?

www.citysnaps.net

Having thought and shot at 400 speed for so many decades, the LX1's reputed noise at that speed is off-putting to me (not to mention its slow lens).

I'm interested to peek at the Fuji F11 when it becomes available. Fuji digi-cam owners seems to relish their toys.

But for real fun, the Leica M still fits the bill (as long as my film scanner continues to work properly). The ONLY item that would give me a firmer push into digiland would be the complete collapse of an available mini-lab. I currently have three reliable options.

"I'm a college student with way to much gear..."

Perhaps if you sold all that gear and added what you are about to spend on a Panasonic digital, you could get a used M6 and a 1969-type 50 Cron and concentrate on taking photographs. And maybe drop by the English department and ask a prof about the correct usage of to & too : )

Thanks for all the great responses. I actually do a lot of shooting... I have a really good Nikon

system including D100, N90s, and lenses. I go to school in Colorado and I need something

very small and inconspicuous that I can take with me when I'm rock climbing/ snowboarding/

hiking/ going out with with my friends. If I am going to be shooting an serious work I will use

my D100 or N90s, they are just too obtrusive/ heavy to take with me on a 10+ mile hike or

similar activities. So what I'm basically looking for is a really high quality small and

lightweight digital. Does anyone recommend the actual Leica Point and shoot digitals?

I'd seriously check out the Fuji F11 if I were you. Supposed to have good high ISO shooting. It is already available on ebay from Japan.

I have tried the Lumix, but noise levels is a huge concern. If only Leica would partner up with Canon or Nikon for their digitals........aaahhh......life is but a dream....