Professional Cycling Shots

ericreagan

I'm heading to the <a

href="http://www.tourdegeorgia.com/race.html">Tour de Georgia</a> in

April and I've got a few ideas for shots, but I'd like to hear from

those of you that have experience in shooting cycling road races.

I'll be there from the Thursday time trial through the race finish on

Sunday. My gear: Canon 350D, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 f/1.8, Sigma 55-200

DC; 420EX flash, tripod, remote, several CF cards. I'm probably going

to buy a EF 70-200 f/4 L to take and leave the Sigma at home (and

later sell), unless of course I get overwhelming and convincing advice

otherwise. I'm also working on getting a press pass and any

reasonable advice for that would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys.

On an overcast day with roadside trees the exposure could be f4, 1/60, at ISO 100 or f4, 1/125, at ISO 200...and that's not enough shutter speed to handle the telephoto focal length much less the action...unless using a tripod.

Hopefully, the worst case is f4, 1/125, at ISO 100 and f4, 1/250 at ISO 200...

Take all your lenses and get a Canon EF 200mm f2.8 L. Manage your time and shot selections. Budget certain amount of time to each lens/composition possibility. You will find interesting compositions for the wide and 50mm, and beyond that you will likely want to make the jump to as long as possible, the 200. Use the 55-200 only when absolutely necessary. Good luck.

I've shot a bunch of ultra-marathon cycling events, which are different than road races, but also have a lot of similarities. I agree with the advice to take all your lenses, you never know what your conditions will be. The only equipment I have not used in these events was a tripod. I generally use longer lenses to capture the action in stillness (faster shutter speeds) and the wider lenses to illustrate some motion. The races I've shot are different in that it is unusual to have a full peleton (pack of riders) and more often the riders are seen solo. It is also different because the longer races can go for ten days straight without a break, so I get a lot of shots in low light conditions. Anyway, you are welcome to view an old gallery of mine, in case it gives you some inspiration.

And feel free to ask if you want more info about a any specific photo.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jb701/galleries/pages/6101.html

One last bit of advice, get low... it is very common to see cyclists from the perspective of their handlebars or higher, but less common and more interesting, I think, to see them from the lower wheel perspective.

Good luck.

jb

well, just take it as ideas... Georgia has it's own beauty. The two photos I'll post below were taken in the southeast. Also, the fact that the race is more tightly grouped than the races I'm used to can be a real advantage for you, because it means if you miss a shot you had a thoughtful composition for, you might actually get another chance with the next rider(s). Shoot lots, but more importantly, have fun!<div>00FNi5-28394584.jpg.03c9b7116ad4a6f303a5453d77227659.jpg</div>

You have gotten some good suggestions. As mentioned, take all the lenses and try different angles and compositions. Don't skimp on CF cards.

Really try to scout the course for the scenic backgrounds. Try to understand where the sun will be at different parts of the course during the day. There's little worse than having to look for a photogenic spot in unfamiliar territory while there's an event going on.

I almost never use a tripod, but I occasionally use a monopod, particularly with long lenses. This year I have a Wimberly Sidekick (gimbal mount tripod head) which I may try for relatively static work. (Last year I did time trial starts, one rider every thirty seconds for three hours at one race. If I have to do it again, I'll use the Sidekick!)

High-speed fill-flash often is worthwhile. This adds complexity, even with modern systems.

My bread-and-butter cycling lens is a 70-200mm f/2.8. My partners each have one. Pretty much every I've seen shooting cycling seriously has one. There are many good reasons for this: This is a very useful focal length range for cycling. The fast aperture helps keep the shutter speed high and helps isolate the subject. USM/AF-S can focus very quickly. IS/VR is arguable, but I have it and use it.

If you plan to sell to the cyclists, go for fairly tight shots that show their faces, preferably not in pain. Beginners, recreational riders, and the lower cats are more likely to buy. Consider doing team shots, which can sell well.

Finally, don't forget kneepads! When you're shooting close-in to the cyclists, you might find that some of the best angles require you to crouch or kneel. This can get old and uncomfortable rather quickly.

Ok, you guys have me thinking about a 70-200 2.8; most likely the Sigma. My wife's not going to be happy about that, but if pushed a little harder, I may have to bite the bullet. Chris, thanks for the pointers. I'd love to take a look at your work if you've got a portfolio online.

Having never shot any sports before, let me ask what's probably a rather obvious question. Am I correct in assuming that AI Servo is the focusing mode I should use? Or, perhaps, should I pick my spots and set the focus manually to catch the riders passing? Or, what's some more pointers on how to set up shots with focusing options in mind?

Eric, you're welcome for the pointers. I have a few galleries online at http://photostore.chrisleck.com/Sports . Most of my cycling images are published through Northwest Event Photography (http://nweventphotography.com/). My images get mixed with those of my partners and get cycled through after a time.

As far as focusing modes, yes -- all of the above. It depends on the subject, your camera, you, and you objectives. I mostly use continuous AF. Sometimes I pre-focus and shoot when the subject enters the focus zone -- using manual or the AF override. Ocasionally I will use the single focus mode, probably mostly for award shots and scenics.

Believe it or not, all of the current cycling images on my website were shot using a D100. I'm using a D200 now and am expecting major improvements in the continuous AF capability and the results.

Eric,

Someone said something about 1/60 of a sec being too slow but they're wrong on that. I shoot there or slower all the time if light restricts faster shutter speeds. You just have to get creative. Also, you didn't say what stages you are shooting but you did mention an important part...focusing. If you are doing road stages you only have a few seconds of riders coming by and using auto focus can be problematic. Even today's best autofocus lenses can miss the shot unless you are familiar with how to get it working at it's maximum capability. If you only have one chance, pre focus in manual and take the shots when the riders get there. If you are at a crit or circuit race and have multiple laps to get the shots, by all means try the auto but also mix prefocusing to make sure.

To insure a good in focus shot, get close to the action with a wider angle lens. This is for the one time pass road race...use telephotos and whatever else for the crits as you have multiple chances to get close ups. Stand on the edge of the road as close to them as possible. Make sure straps, etc are tucked out of the way so you don't snag a handlebar as they go by. I almost always take my straps off. Cycling is like no other sport...you can actually touch the athletes as they go by but be a pro and don't screw them up.

Slower speeds....either pan or shoot them head on coming at you or going away from you. If you shoot them from the side at slower speeds you will get blurred shots for sure if you want stopped action. Another tip for better focussed shots....during the road race position yourself on a hill if possible as they'll be going slower.

It will be a bit easier to focus.

Here are a couple of links to some example shots, both tele and wide angle. Good luck! Maybe I'll see you there.

http://www.lesamisracing.com/gallery/gallery_one.html

http://www.lesamisracing.com/files/riders/2005_Roster.html

Click on some of the names on the roster page to get more images. Oh yeah....press pass. Talk to your local paper. Show the editor some portfolio stuff. Good work and a professional maner might get you a chance to get a temporary pass.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your helpful comments. Your gallery is great. I love what you've done with the light on the shot for the intro page.

As far as the stages go: I'm going down early Thursday morning to Chattanooga for the time trial finish (probably not on the finish line since it's a time trial, but on the final ascent somewhere on the mountain). I'll be there through Sunday (may look for a finish line shot on Sunday since it'll likely be a sprint finish). Saturday on Brasstown Bald, I think I'll set up on one of the final two or three switchbacks, which is where Lance turned up the heat on Floyd last year and dropped him. Friday is still up in the air. I may look for some scenic area along the course to catch the whole peloton - we'll see.

I'd be interested to hear your comments on the f/2.8 vs. f/4 debate. I might be leaning toward the Sigma 70-200 2.8, especially since the newly announced version is close focus at 1:3.5 - making it a dual purpose lens for me. Also in the running is the Canon 70-200 f/4 L and the Canon 24-105 IS f/4 L (if I can swing the price tag by April).

James,

Thanks for the compliments! That was nice of you. I really like sense of solitude you have in a lot of your shots. You captured the feeling well.

------------------

Eric.... For the Bald stage I envision being about 10 feet past the apex of a switchback, focussing back at the apex. The crowd will be heavy and chances are people will be stepping out in front of you. I would plant myself on the ground, camera bout 2-3 feet off the ground. I would be squatting, not sitting, so I could move out a bit more if needed. That way with all the waving arms and all you can shoot under it. Shoot with the 18mm you have. Riders coming through all the crazy waving fans......cool shot! Damn, I'm ready to go now!

As far as 2.8 vs 4....most of my stuff is 2.8 or faster. The only thing not is a kit Nikon lens. The Canon L stuff is great. A friend has a 20D that I shot and the L was bright and colorful. Extra bucks for the image stabilizing...I don't know. I could have used it a time or two but I just plan for low light and bring a mono pod. I pre focus with a 300 2.8 on a mono pod a lot. I get in places where there isn't any crowd like the back side of crit courses or in the wheel pit so I can move freely with it.

Most of the rain shots on the site were with a 80-200 2.8 from across the road pre focussed. If I was standing on the inside of the turn I'd have probably been right in their face with a 24. I pan a lot with a 28 at 2.8. Really any of those lenses you have listed will get you good shots. It just depends on what you want to achieve and if you utilize them correctly. They all have shortcomings so practice with them a lot in the weeks before. I also shoot tests of pedestrians and inconsequential riders such as guys just out riding up the mountain to get an idea of how the shot will look.

Post some shots when you get em!

• 3 weeks later...