Mixing XTOL and Rodinal

klix

I think there are a few threads here on photo.net about this.

I've tried XTOL 1:1 with a squirt of about 5mL of rodinal a while ago, when I used to shoot

film. I dev'd tri-x with it, and results were essentially characteristic of XTOL 1:1 with a bit

more contrast and acutance. Looked a bit like HC110 in terms of tonality, but with the better

grain of XTOL.

I've also tried the "rodinol" mix with Xtol 1:1. I really just couldn't tell the difference between the blend and the standard 1:1. Maybe I should have tried to increase the rodinal quantity ?<br>

IMHO one should try to mix rodinal with stock Xtol in order to see a difference, but I haven't had an opportunity to experiment with this yet.

I was suspicious of claims that Rodinal and Xtol could be mixed so I tried it. Turns out it can be done and it can work very well.

I've used "RodinX" successfully on Tri-X exposed at 400. I didn't try it on other films. It took some experimenting to find the right balance between the two developers because they work very differently. But the negs had the acutance of Rodinal with the fine grain of Xtol.

I don't have my data handy because I'm not at my own PC right now. But if you search the archives using my name and "RodinX" you should be able to find the data I used three or four years ago.

There's

I just did this experiment last night with both Hp5 and Neopan 400 and the negs look good

although I have yet to scan or print them. I altered things a bit such that for 300ML of water,

I add 150ML of straight XTOL and 5ML of Rodinal. I would suggest trying about 9 minutes

with an intial agitation of 30 seconds and then 5 seconds(3 inversion-rotations) every 2

minutes or so. That should be a good starting point. That's for 120 in a Nikor tank.