What lens to get for my new 30D

mike_hodson

whatever you do, don't get an EF-S lens. they're quite stupid and dumb. allow me to present a few supporting points:

1. everyone on dpreview.com says EF-S lenses are all made of sub-standard plastic that will break after light use. 50,000 elvis fans can't be wrong.

2. the optical quality of EF-S lenses is pretty bad, too. i've never used any of them, and based on this, neither should you.

3. ...and what happens if, in 2015, when full frame dslr's are priced to move at around 1500 bucks, you want to upgrade? you're screwed.

in summary, EF-S bad. no EF-S. new 17-55 2.8 IS EF-S poo poo ca ca.

Justin: I completely agree, but it's much easier to just call up B&H and order a brand new

600mm or two than to track down a used 1200mm.

Maybe this could be some new reality TV show... get a dozen photographers together, and

give each of them a 30D and a 1200mm lens, and that's ALL they can use for a year, and they

must do all of their photography indoors, and... :-)

It is quite amazing that few have asked what you are going to take and how you want to present the finished product. Each to their own and in my case I have (for the 20D) the 10-22mm and the 17-85mm IS which are both S lenses. The 70-300 DO IS, 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8. For general walkabout I would take the 17-85 but tend to take all 3 zooms for when I am out on vacation or general photo shooting. The 50mm f1.8 lens may be good value but as yet I have not used it. As I said each to their own.