as I didn't have any photos in open-air, I am not sure if there is

anything special about it...

I am a photography student in a part-time course and my knowledge is

usually partial.

I heard about those developers in a forum here about which one

Sabastio Salgado was using. But they weren't sure which one of those

two it was.

Tomorrow, I need to develop the roll that will be calibrated at the

school on Monday, with the developer I will have decided to choose.

Therefore, I would really appreciate a quick answer. Thanks a lot!

It would be nice to do a roll in each and compare the results. My guess is that with Rodinal you will see more apparent grain and less real film speed than you would with D-76.

It doesn't matter a whit what Sabastio Salgado uses. He makes compelling photographs in his own style. Your goal should be to make compelling photographs in your style.

I've read lots of threats in this forum about wich of those developers is best for TriX.

D76 is said to yield a higher speed -so you can almost use the full 400 iso- than Rodinal. But I also read people who just loved the taste of this film in Rodinal (TriX in D76 looks lovely aswell)

You're not going to be wrong whatever you use, moreover if you're going to calibrate the stuff!

Both of them are as old as the hills and gazillions of acres of film have been developed with each one. For bigger enlargements I always favored D76 because of the grain (I don't see where it's less grainy than Rodinal, just smaller grain). Now with scanning grain is a different but equally frustrating issue. That said, in the past couple or twenty years I've pretty much used Rodinal exclusively for everything except the T-grain films, because I do so little of it, and Rodinal comes (perhaps I should start saying "came")in small bottles of concentrate where I could make up just enough for one 1-reel tank.

I take it Salgado was using 35mm

Rodinal's big draw back is grain, it's rather grainy. However it does seem to be very tollerant, it's very punchy while at the same time capturing amazing highlight and shadow detail. I love the stuff and it's very very cheap. I use it with tri-x.

I just bought another bottle yesterday, what appears to be the last bottle available off the shelf in Glasgow. I've ordered another two but whether I'll get them, but I've got enougth at the mo for 2 or 3 years I think.

I am about to try ID11 with tri-x, I'm looking for a developer that looks good but with finer grain and is hopefully forgiving of my ham fisted exposures.

Don't bother with Rodinal unless you want something special (maximum sharpness, edge effect). Despite the urban legend, Rodinal DOESN'T create grain: it simply doesn't reduce grain (D76 does reduce grain).

I've just processed my first ever TMax 100. I used Rodinal 1:50 (12@20C) because I rely on two extremes of developer, Rodinal and Emofin. Emofin made no sense because it dissolves grain, which isn't an issue with TMax.

With Rodinal there was no perceptable grain @ 10.5". I'm not convinced that I like this combo, but I'm also not sure I like TMax with ANY developer.

First off, there are a bunch of Rodinal clones out there - so don't worry about AGFA's situation, you will always be able to get it in some form (although if you can stock up on it, it keeps for ever).

I love Rodinal for almost all films I use, unless I don't want the grain. Between D76 and Rodinal, you may have the two most flexible, tried and true developers ever made. Depending on dilution, agitation, etc., you can shoot a lifetime of photographs and not explore every venue offered by just these two.

Most people prefer Rodinal for fine grain, slower films - but if you like beautiful grain, you can't get any better than TriX and Rodinal (I love fast films in Rodinal - but then again, I often like grain).

If you want to hide the grain (make it less apparent) use D76. If you want something in between - try a diluted 1:1 D76. I can't really tell you of all the different looks you can get, but look into it and you will be overwhelmed by how varied they are. If I was to be stuck with just one developer, I would pick Rodinal - but then again, that's a matter of personal preference (and the fact that it keeps forever and is used in tiny dilutions so it lasts and lasts).

Personally I do not like D-76, because of its low contrast, which makes a negative to very difficult to enlarge (for me, with my equipment). I use Rodinal Special (differs from plain Rodinal) with TMAX 100 for optimal negative for enlargement. With Rodinal Special, TMAX becomes very sharp and contrasty and very blackish, which is frightening for the first time, but very good for enlargement (at least for me).