SB80 flashgun in combination with the D200

hugo_delvaux

Don't go buy the SB800flash yet! I've been using my SB-80dx on my D200 with great results. You have to shoot in flash Automatic and in camera Aperture Priority. For indoors, I've been bouncing with the diffusion dome and opening up about 2/3rds of a stop. Take a few test shots and experiment with it. Also, the flash will work in Manual wireless. Also works with slow, rear, and red-eye on the camera. Eventually, I will get the SB-800, but I don't want to burn a hole in my budget yet. Also, I wouldn't recommend the SB-600 as it it takes the smaller (more expensive) batteries.

If you don't want to spend on a SB-800 right away, the SB-80DX is great in AA mode. I

suppose the D200 can still "talk" to older speedlights lke the D2X can. Things like ISO

setting, focal length and aperture. Then, it's a piece of cake to read the distances on the

80DX's LCD screen.

TTL is nice, and i-TTL is great, but you can live without it, especially in this digital day and

age where you can check you pictures as you take them.

Yes you can.

I still sometimes use a Sb-26 with my D2h and D2x.

Now for something completly different ::

I use a SunPak 622 Super with my D2h and D2x. ( I need the GN200 and the removable head feature of the Flash) The images look great.

Of course I like the Sb-600 and the Sb-800 for the detail flash work as my Heavy Howitzer SunPak 622's dont quite give me the subtle nuance of flash control that these flashes have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have both the D200 - nice camera - except I do not seem to be able to get any readings of:

ISO

Zoom position (with the new VR lense)

F-stop

Shutter Speed

and

No AA operation

This is with 2 different SB80DX units

I called Nikon - they told me that's the way it is

and yet

I see your comments indicating you can get the AA operation and if I understood correctly also the fstop and other data

What am I - or Nikon - doing wrong (Other than not maintaing full compatibility)

Thanks

NLL

"Also, I wouldn't recommend the SB-600 as it it takes the smaller (more expensive) batteries."

whoops, false on two counts. It takes the same AAs as almost every other flash. and if you're referring to CR123 batteries (like the SB50 uses), they're relatively cheap via mailorder compared to their lithium AA equivalents.

The SB600 is a great flash if you don't need ultimate power or commander mode.

Andy

Thanks for your quick reply...

My question is not about AA cells

My question is about the AA operational mode between the SB80DX and the D200.

A number of people say they have had success implementing it.

I do not seem to be able to do the same - even tried two different SB80DX flashes

Nikon is telling me it cannot be done

But given the miscommunication I am seeing between Nikon support staff - I wonder if they are wrong...

Also some claim to have ISO, F-Stop , Shutter speed and other communication between the SB80DX and the D200

I cannot make that happen either

So is Nikon wrong? Could it be my brand new out of the box D200 is defective

Comments are appreciated

NLL

Ooops

Sorry about that Andy

OK let's hope I can get my AA D200/SB80DX questions cleared up.

Comments on batteries

NiMH are great and inexpensive now - However - the advantage of Lithium Packs - better shelf life. NiMH have more self-discharge than even NiCads... My 2500 mAh cells in my S1 last only about 1 month sitting in the camera or by themselves - self discharge drains them to about 30%

That said I prefer AA cells mainly because in an emergency you can always find primary alkaline or carbon/zinc dry cells of some type - anywhwere in the world...

Again apologies for the confusion on my part...

Regards

NLL

• 10 months later...