couple of Mark2's and 17-40 and 24-70 lenses. One 580 and one 550

flashes. I know that a full frame camera may be better but right now

that is the equipment I have. I have noticed that someone recently

has used what looks like a remote device to light the room,

fortunately they were lazy enough to not clone it out of the

picture, so can anybody say what was used....for instance would it

be as simple a as basic slave flash .....like my 550? (picture

attached)

It COULD be as simple as a slave flash. (Simple in terms of "that's all it is; NOT nearly as simple to use as I suspect what this particular flash really is.)

It looks suspiciously like a wireless TTL flash; Nikon or Canon. I'm guessing that because the base looks like the one that comes with their wireless TTL flashes, and if I saw the pic correctly, the stuff on the rear of the flash makes it look like one of these automatic deals.

Someone else probably has a better answer than I; I finally ditched the 283/285 Vivitars and the Sunpak potato masher I've been using for years, in exchange for Nikon digital units.

The shadow of the table looks like it's square under the table itself. The lighting could have been bounced off the ceiling, with a soft fill. Because the room decor is so high key, this room would pretty much light itself, meaning there would be quite a bit of latitude to produce "good" lighting.

Nigel,

The short answer, IMHO, is Yes. A basic slave unit seems ok.

It seems to me that most interior shots where made with a mixture of thungsten, flash and daylight. I have no experience in this field, but looking at this photo i see the following elements:

(1) the gradient on the ceiling and the shadow of the ceilinglamp on the left corner indicates a small flash was used. It is small and rather close to the ceiling, leaving the shining table without hotspots.

(2) the slaveunit on the far corner of the table is responsible for the extra shadows ( eg the shadow of the lamp near the door, the shadow of the pillows on the curtain etc). It also created a hotspot in the curve of the sofa ( sorry, don't know the english word for this part of the sofa)

These shadows are a bit intrusive if you're going for a covershot, but it's ok for the lower echelons of photography ;-)

A better mix of the different lightsources ( here: longer exposuretime) may produce better results,

my 2 eurocents.

W.

I did crop this photo down a fair bit but the original made it look like a big room so would it be a fiar assumption to say he had used an on camera flash unit pointing up and then the slave directly in front?

You are right this type of set up is not " Front Cover " stuff but I guess as a real estate brochure shot may suffice.