Anonymous 3/3 rater on the rampage

will king

And now everyone will want their 3/3 ratings deleted. Why should Tim Holte have all the fun. I almost always get one 3/3 rating one every bird photo I submit and the rating occurs within the first hour. Some are understandable some are not. Is there a conspiracy? Maybe. Can I do anything about it? No.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate Will's concern but I have a poor attitude when it comes to ratings. I don't really care because I never look in the TRP and that's really about the only place ratings mean anything. Ninety-eight percent of my photos are not TRP material. I pretty much post photos that document the little slice of world around me here in Milwaukee. Most people have no clue as to where Milwaukee, Wisconsin is so I feel good about sharing my images and shining a little light on an average American city. My photos are not cutting edge, hip, post-modern or relevant to the world at large,they contain no nudity and are pretty much straight photographs. In other words, pretty boring and deserve a few 3/3's if you really think about it.

Tim, you are a lucky guy. As you, I never look at the TRP. But I know that 100% of my pictures are not TRP material (people just cannot appreciate the good stuff ;-))...

As I told you before, Brian deletes the robot-rates, kindergarten rates (the ones that dislike Ansel Adams), or any funny misbehavior. My 3/3, listed above, was also deleted... and my 1/1 or 2/2 will not even show.

Will, I don't view it as "humble", more like "realistic". When I first sighed up with PN three years ago, I was bothered by low rates and nasty comments. After awhile, I came to the conclusion that I was wasting precious energy and time worrying about it. Now I just blast away and the heck with the nittering nabobs of negativity.

"His view is worth precisely the same as anyone else's."

The man in question is free to think that Adams was a poor photographer if he wants. And I am free to believe that anyone with that opinion is clueless when it comes to photography. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but that doesn't mean I have to give any weight to it.

As for the word idiot, I assure you that its quite an accurate description.

"As for the word idiot, I assure you that its quite an accurate description."

We are all free to form our own opinions. I, for example, am free to form the opinion that someone who labels another an idiot is, how can I put this politely, an idiot. Much better, then, not to call anyone an idiot, so that eventually, the word falls out of use.<div>00FE6Z-28124784.jpg.144f3ce63661ed112ad84a039105a368.jpg</div>

One of the reasons I stopped putting photos up in my gallery is because I grew tired of the whole rating premise. If you really want to gauge what people think, make it comments instead of ratings. Of course, I'm not getting any of those either, so it's basically a moot point. I give up.

This is interesting. Until now I took the series of 3/3 as a personal attack. Now I see that it is widespread. This has at least some equity effect. Of course as a member of photo.net I want to be visible, I want to get feedback, I want to learn and improve and I want to be stimulated by the good photos of other photographers. I also want to give feedback on photos which stimulate me. I appreciate the system of photo.net where the good photos are more visible than the average ones.

For me the low ratings without comments are disturbing because they reduce the visibility of my photos and because I do not know why they are seen as below average. Perhaps If I would know I could improve the photos.

What I suggest is to introduce a system, where below 4 ratings are only counted when accompanied by a comment. If necessary, comments in the rate recent form could be anonymous. Karl

I think Karl has a good idea, but by the same token, it wouldn't stop the flamers from saying "It sucks" or some other derogatory remark. Photos should only be rated by members, and should be accompanied by a comment. If you restrict the ratings to those two criteria, you eliminate the bad apples. When we post photos in the critique gallery, we're not just looking for positive comments. We are looking for ways and suggestions to help us become better---it's not just an ego thing.

Karl-as you now see, the attacks were not personal; quite the contrary-they are directed at everyone by someone who is doing it either for the 'fun' of it or else to build up his or a friends ratings. I agree with John-I'd like to see the ratings/comments restricted to members. At the very least, no anonymous 3/3's.

cb

yes, it seems that some things never change. This has been an issue for so long that it's passed being redundant. just asked for a critique request... same image that was very highly rated, got 3's.... whatever. just look though my folders if you'd like to leave a real rating or critque. this is the only way I can find to get noticed here on photo.net. I stopped posting in hopes that silliness would stop. it hasn't.