Fun bag for the D200

walterh

Now that I finally upgraded from a D70 to a D200 I have lots of fun taking a bag

with just a few oldies AIS lenses with me.

Here a light traveling compilation of Ai(S) lenses that fits into a smallish bag:

1) 20mm f3.5

2) 28mm f2.0

3) 55mmf2.8 macro ( admit beeing guilty and to also allow the 50mmAFD f1.8 as a

substitute)

4) 75-150mm Series E f3.5

A very lightweight prime and high quality zoom outfit.

Alternatives are the 24mmf2.8 and the 135mm f2.8

Did you try something similar and whats your cup of tea regarding MF lenses to

go with the D body?

Cheers

Walter

PS: Undecided and not small: 300mmf2.8 : I get mixed results so far on my D70

and few shots with the D200 versus always excellent impressive results from my F5.

Well as Einstein used to say: everything is relative , and even he had a struggle to explain what is light^^ (ouch).

Well light for a D200 outfit - ok there may be worlds colliding.

But this set is certainly light in comparison to a set of AFD lenses and a standard 80-200 zoom. The mentioned lenses are especially light in comparison to the D200 with the grip.

Yes you can go lighter with a different camera but that was not the point. Certainly much bulkier than a point and shoot. Also much heavier than a photon to come back to Einstein :-P

Did I say a light bag? You did - I said a small bag - hrr. I mentioned a "light traveling compilation of Ai(S) lenses" for a D200 - a compilation implies a number of lenses - I dont see much lighter lenses of high quality - do you? Of course now we can argue about small or large but then we go back to the relativity argument^^.

But let us think about your "light bag" and lets consider it in the context of a digital SLR. An almost ideal (non existing) body for a real light bag would be the light D80 with AIS-lens metering capability and 2-3 of the above lenses - I guess Nikon blew this one for marketing reasons.

I have a lot of AiS lenses, but with the 18-70 kit zoom, very little is really needed. My bag holds the zoom, plus the 55mm f/2.8 macro for when more speed is needed, and (duh) for macro. I carry a 20mm f/2.8 AF, again for when more speed is needed- it's small and light and I happen to have one, otherwise it's not an important part of the kit, as the zoom covers the range. Finally, there's not much better than the 105mm f/2.5 for more reach and more speed. If I think I'll need it, I can also throw in a 200mm f/4 and even (ugg) a teleconverter. This all fits handily in a Tamrac System 6 bag, with room left over for big lens hoods and the usual other junk we carry around.

My walking kit is the D200 with 24/2.8 AIS and 55/2.8 micro AIS. This is close to the 35/90

kit I came to prefer for 35mm film. You'll read reviews suggesting that the 24/2.8 is

unsuitable for the D200 because of CA. However, it's a 1-step correction in Photoshop or

Camera RAW, so that's not a significant issue for me. Both of these lenses perform well from

close-up to infinity, and are small for SLR lenses.