Radio Slave in studio and on locations

scott_walton2

Has anyone had experience with either of these units, the Quantum

Radio Slave or the MicroSynch? I'm familiar with the Quantum but I

have just learned of the MicroSynch. Are there any other because I

need to make a purchase and would like some more info/opinions. Please

email directly at: walton@ll.mit.edu

I use Quantums mainly because I've got them, and they still work, but if I were to start now, Pocket Wizards are the new standards. Many heads now have built in pocket wizard receivers, some meters have built in triggers so you can fire your lights and meter without using your transmitter. Also, many arena lights now fire off pocket wizard systems.

They're built well, and have a good rep, but you pay for it. Many of the really cheap options aren't worth it, as you get what you pay for.

In my opinion: If you want reliability there are really just two options: the LPA Design

Pocketwizard systems (both by reputation and in my personal experience) and supposedly,

the Quantum FreeWire.

From my personal experience with the Quantum Radio Slaves II

and IV I won't recommend them (Caveat: I never have used the the last versions of the

Radio Slave, the IVi I gave up on the Radio Slave system about 8-9 years ago on the advise

of several pro level dealers and rental houses that sell both systems a thoway of thinking

that was re-inforced by my frustrating experiences with the II and IV model.)

Like one ofthe previous replies, I have not used the current version of the Quantum, but I

have not had good experiences with the older units, especially outdoors.

I have used several versions of the PocketWizards, and I can recommend them without

hesitation. They are great units and I've heard the company offers good service although

I've never had a problem with them at all. I use them during my day job at a newspaper so

they get put through their paces in rough situations, and always work flawlessly.