Lexar Media Rebate Scam

This subject has come up before but I believe other photographers deserve to know of the

latest deceptive behavior by Lexar. I am very sour on Lexar and may avoid their products

in the future.

Today, 1/31/06, is the last day for purchasing Lexar Media 80x 1, 2, or 4 GB CF cards with

$30, $40, or $50 rebates, respectively. This deal seems attactive on the surface but be

wary. The rebate offer, #H44830, clearly states

"Limit three (3) rebates per product category per person per household. Claims must be

postmarked within 30 days from purchase date."

Authorized dealers for this are many - B&H, Adorama, etc.

In early January, my wife purchased 3 1GB cards from B&H. A few days later, I also

purchased 3 1GB cards. Yes, my wife and I both shoot digitally. We have just converted

from film and this was a good chance to stock up on cards. We completed the forms and

carefully sent in all the required paperwork. On first check on the Lexar Rebate website

last week, it appeared that these claims were denied. I called them on 1/30 and was

advised that the rebate limit was one per household. The representative was insistent.

After talking to a supervisor, she advised that the limit was three per household, but not

per person. I requested a higher supervisor and have not been contacted yet.

The supervisor was adamant that their "per person" limit did not apply and it really was

only per household! I was dumbfounded. I know the games on details these rebate houses

play, but to deny their own language is incredulous! If Lexar does not honor their own

rebates, then their business practices can only be seen as misleading at best, dishonest at

worst.

I'll post an update to this saga if any changes occur. Any one else experiencing this with

Lexar?

There is a good chance the person who wrote the rebate offer doesn't understand plain English, and didn't implement the intended policy. But that doesn't matter. They should be held to what they say. I read "per person per household" to mean the same thing as "per person" and not the same thing as "per household". If they intended that to mean something else, they should have spelled it out explicitly in detail. At the very least they should give you three rebates, if not six, under any possible interpretation of the phrase.

I believe it is the Federal Trade Commission that regulates truth in advertising. You can google them and check their website to see just whom to complain to. You should also tell Lexar that you are filing such a complaint.

I think what companies like Lexar are counting on is that people today are so busy, and we are so used to scams and dishonest corporate and political leaders, that everyone will just say, "oh well, ripped-off again" and not do anything. Filing a compliant with the FTC or your state AG is time-consuming and Lexar expects that no one will bother.

You have every reason to be angry. You have tried the normal channels. Now compose yourself and contact their CEO (do a Google to find name/address,etc) and both telephone the CEO's office and follow up with a written letter, and if you get appropriate action and satisfaction, a thank you letter. Many CEOs will pick up the phone from an articulate persistent client, listen to their complaint, and resolve the issue on the spot. Sometimes executives don't see everything in the trenches, but most of them are interested in doing the right thing for the customer, because if they don't, that customer is likely to influence 10x as many prospects to not purchase their products, as one who is satisfied. I speak from experience as a consumer and doing this as needed for 35 years, and as an executive who occasionally worked with my CEO to respond to similar issues. It's a pain in the a**, but it usually puts things right, and, after all, that's what both parties want.

Good news! I contacted the corporate office of Lexar and recieved excellent response. The

initial intent of the rebate program was apparently 3 per household but the phrase "per

person" kind of changes that. Lexar normally limits their rebates to one per household and

this was their first time doing three. They were very helpful and agreed to honor my rebate

requests. I am very impressed with their responsiveness. If all continues as stated and I

receive my rebates, I would certainly recommend them. Also, if anyone has a problem like

this, contact Lexar directly - they will route you to the responsible party.

I have posted before that between 2004 and 2005, I have claimed 4 or 5 Lexar rebates and received each one of them within a month or two. Back then it was indeed only one type of rebate per household, and I followed the rules to the T.

I don't think those rebate are scams, but clearly it is not in their interest to pay you money, and the rebate processing company would pick on every excuse. You simply need to be careful and follow the rules precisely.

Hello Dennis,

I almost wrote "welcome to the club of photographers duped by lexar". I had already been

turned down three times by Lexar. The last time they turned me down, it was almost

funny.they told me that my rebate was denied because the deadline to apply was march 30th

and their letter saying that they received everything complete but too late was early february.

Some of the postings are right on the dot. All of these is just a trap to make you purchase

their cards hoping you will later gave up when rebates are denied. Best solution : stop buying

lexar products. Since then I only buy sandisk and pass the word around

• 1 month later...

I appeared to have been scammed, too, and got my notice from Lexar yesterday. The 2GB Lexar 80x WA card was purchased from B&H and my application was postmarked within the 30 day parameter. Lexar says "Postmark date exceeds time limit set forth on the rebate form." This is baloney as my purchase date was Feb 14 and the mailing date at a USPO was Monday, March 13. This is fraud, pure and simple, and I am quite disturbed. My first step is certified mail letters to Lexar, but if anybody knows how to call them please say so. Their rebate "help" site is not approachable by email in my experience.

Thanks, I intend to watch this photo.net bboard very closely.

Bill Dodge

Problem resolved: Lexar Rebate HQ recalculated the dates in question and agreed that I qualify for the rebate. Acceptance to be posted on their website within 5 days. They were very accurate, efficient and professional. Will let all of you know if I DON'T get the rebate as they agreed.

Bill Dodge

• 11 months later...
It appears that this is a continuing problem with LEXAR. I've just bought my last product of theirs. I purchased a 133X 2 GB from B & H, followed all instructions exactly, hand delivered the rebate package to the postmaster, watched him stamp the postmark, gave the secret handshake, and received a postcard today that it didn't meet their deadline. There are too many choices in the marketplace, unfortunately LEXAR is one that I'll blow off from now on. Keep this up, and they won't need to have a rebate program, they'll need a Chapter 11 filing.