India in B&W

jacques_oule

Jacques, I've just had my first exhibition which was mostly black and white photographs from India and Nepal. You can see some thumb nails of the images at http://www.biscuitbox.co.uk/indiansummer.html

I was there Dec/Jan which was warm and dry but not too hot, so didn't have any problems with storing film etc. I shot roughly 1/3 black and white (HP5 and TMax400), 2/3 colour (Kodak Gold 200 or 400) but in hindsight i was most of the time actually taking black and white photos but with colour film!

The only filter I used was red for landscapes because I like those black skies when there are whispy clouds around. I print using wet chemistry so had to do a lot of experimenting learning the technique of printing black and white with colour negatives (on Ilford RC multigrade, as I couldn't get any kodak panalure). The best advice I can give for shooting is in the cities - get up really early and just wander around with the express intention of shooting lots and lots of film. Also don't be shy, if you are smiling and approach people they are happy to let you take pictures else you can do it fairly inconspicuously. Be prepared that you will be a curiousity and the kids nearly everyone is very friendly. Where necessary I was able to "ask" for permission first, occassionally it was in exchange for a few ruppees (especially saddhus etc). I usually shoot landscapes but India is definitely about the people. Although do be careful in sensitive areas like burning ghats or some temples.

If you have any specific questions or want to know anymore then please contact me.

HI Jacques,

I have never been to India. But I have seen a lot of B&W work made there. I think the biggest mistake you can make there is using slow film. Light tends to be hard and under those conditions slow film is not the way to go. My suggestion would be TriX.

When using filters, remember that on higher altitudes, the filter works stronger. So using a red filter in Nepal may be pushing it.

Dust may be on other thing to be prepared for. And not to forget high temperatures. If you are planning to shoot color; better bring normal film and not the professional stuff that tends to be more sensitive to heat.

D.