rebel or 20d?

I am planning to buy my first digital camera soon. I would like the

20d with the Canon 17-85 lens. Unfortunately, I can't afford to spend

that much. My choices are a Rebel XT with the 17-85 or the 20d with

the 18-55 lens. Both are about the same price. I like the 20d body

because it feels like my Elan 7 when I hold it in my hand. However, I

would much prefer the 17-85 lens. Any thoughts?

Since you have an EOS SLR you will know which features you want to keep and which you can do without. I really like the smaller size of the XT - after a weekend of using it my beloved old EOS 50 felt huge and clumsy! For me the 17-85 is an unbeatable single lens solution for 90% of my photography. I miss the rear control dial - it would be nice if the XT had this - but the XT's methods are not so awkward to learn.

Both of the camera are very simular with the 20D having a few minor upgrades, like the buffer, etc. I have to say the MOST important thing when buying a camera that everyone seems to ignore is the feel, it can make all the differance in the world. Having the rebel with a nice 1000 dollar L lens won't matter if you don't like picking up the camera and using it. I have the Rebel, and having small hands, its almost too small for me. Go to the store and request taking the camera and taking a few pictures, navigate the settings, etc. Im sure they wont mind if your willing to spend about 900 bucks. A camera that you like to pick up and use can make all the differance in the world.

-Jason